fuel comsuption

I have a 94 Ford Aspire. It is using too much gas to run. My range is from 27 to 30 mpg. It acts sluggish during acceleration. During warm up you see the smoke from the exhaust black in color. Any suggestions?

snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

How many miles?
It sounds like it is either burning oil or is running too rich. You probably should take the car to a mechanic and ask him or her.
Jeff
If black smoke is visible it generally indicates unburned fuel. That suggest to me your fuel air ratio is operating
outside design parameters.
The problem could be a simple as a clogged fuel orifice, or a faulty plug wire. I suggest you take the vehicle to a competent technician, who has the proper equipment to analyze and correct the fault. If your vehicle has "check engine" light, I'm surprised that it is not elluminated

It comes once in a while, then it goes out.