Mk2 Golf using too much oil.........

My 1990 8V GTi has about 116K on the clock and recently I have been noticing that the oil level needs topping up every month or so. The thing is that there's no oil patches on my driveway, I don't have a smokey exhaust (even when I give it a good hard rev after a long preiod at idle) and I've also checked my spark plugs which aren't fouled in any way. I do have a bit of a leaky rocker cover gasket and was wondering if it's possible that this could account for my oil loss? Also, does a leaking rocker cover gasket indicate anything more sinister? TIA

-- David Speir (remove NO.SPAM to reply)

Reply to
David Speir

On that engine the valve stem oil seals die , normally earlier than that :-) You can replace them without removing the cylinder head.

Reply to
Duncan Wood