Fuel Filter Replacement

I've got a '98 Expedition, and a new fuel filter and the tool to release the fuel lines. I have inserted the tool into the fuel line I couldn't say how
many times and the damn thing won't release. The lines are free and not seized in anyway but the clip inside the line just won't release so I can pull it off the filter. Am I missing something here???
Oh yeah, out of desperation I took it to "Uncle Ed's" to have them do it, they tried for about 15 minutes and then told me they couldn't get it off because of the plastic tools their company provides them with. The tool I was using was a metal one purchased at Autozone.
Thanks!
MIS opined in

I've found that sometimes the spring clips have to "gently coaxed" by tapping the tool while twisting and pulling the joint.
And I only have plastic ones.
Cut the ends of the old filter off, then use a BIC Crystal ball-point pen cap to free the stubs from the fuel lines.
MIS wrote:

I supose you are not worried about a spark starting a fire when you are cutting off the ends of the old filter?
I've always been able to get the filters off by turning the filter and working it back and forth while inserting the tool.
The good news is that the 2003 and beyond Expeditions have a new easy to change fuel filter.
Regards,
Ed White
"Sharon K. Cooke" wrote:

No, I don't worry about it. I always have a fire extinguisher close at hand when working on any fuel system component. A spark will ignite fumes, but usually not the liquid stuff, and I don't go in there with a "spark wrench" to cut the filter ends off.
"C. E. White" wrote:

This isn't a good job for a Sawzall ?

cutting
working it