Fuel injector

What would be the best way to clean injectors? I don't care much about injector cleaner solution (add solution with a full tank of gas) such as STP from Canadian Tire or Walmart. I was told that I can not buy the same
injector cleaning solution from garage so I must bring the vehicle in for service, is that true?
Quang
its very difficult to manually clean injectors since there are electrical units and best cleaned with solution while they are working, (ie: on the car and running) which is why fuel additives are by and far the best option for efficient cleaning. i havent had any problems using fuel additives for this, there are many different varieties out there, however i am in the UK so not sure what is available to you in usa ??? wynns is ussually a good bet. and depending on the amount of fuel in your tank when you add will determine the strength, (they will mostly all reccomend adding to a full tank but i sometimes use half this amount.)

STP
A service center will clean the injectors using a machine that flushes detergent-laden fuel through the fuel rail under pressure with the engine running. The vehicle's feed and return lines are disconnected at the rail and capped (pump disabled) or connected (pump running) such that the engine operates on the cleaning machine's supply alone. It does perform better than pour in n' go methods.
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 22:35:57 -0700, Quang wrote:

Marky wrote:

Out of curiosity, what would one expect to pay for such a service?
I could replace all eight injectors in my vehicle in under an hour for about $360 OEM---likely considerably cheaper after-market. I wonder what the trade-off is by DIY replacement versus a service center's charge for labor, use of the machine and tying up use of vehicle for up to a day.
(My injectors are fine at the moment. Just posing a question.)
In our shop we use BG 44K to clean the fuel delivery system, including the injectors. Used properly, 44K will remove carbon build-up and the usual "crud" that builds up in the injectors, and it's a great deal less expensive than having a shop do the service and it works as well or better than anything of the "flush" systems we've bought and now have sitting in the cornerl. 44K is a professional strength additive so use it according the insructions. you can buy it online at http://www.storesonline.com/site/598452 /

STP