Help: 98 Taurus tranny: AXOD aka AX4S question

1998 Ford Taurus, 3.0L V6, automatic, 167K miles
The tranny has a slow shift from 1st to 2ond. Research showed that the AXOD on the pan is the same as AX4S. Looking for a tranny manual and rebuild kit, I
only found ref to AXOD.
Question: can I transplant a AXOD tranny from an earlier Taurus/Sable/Lincoln into the model 1998 year car? Say from a 1992?
TIA Bill
snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address
Not something you want to do. The AX4S of 1998 is much superior to the AXOD-E (AX4S) of 1992. 91-92 is the worst time period for these transmissions, because the electronic version of the AXOD was new then.
CJ

CJBrown wrote:

Far as i know, 91 and 92 also had a different plug on the trannie from the computer. You also need to know if your problem is electrical or the trannie. The computer tells it when to shift. It may not be the trannie. A good trannie shop with a shafer shifter test kit or such should be able to tell. An AXOD is a hydraulically shifted trannie used in 1990 and earlier. AXODE was the 1991+ electronically shifted variant.
Bob

Thanks for the replys. I threw the question out here as a quick and dirty because I am new to late model Fords and don't know what ca be interchanged.
I am going to run the complete diagnostics as per Mitchells repair. I just wanted to know up front if an older junk yard unit would fit. I see that each gear is controlled by selenoid as well as the control pressure.
wrote:

remove all "f"'s from address