98 Taurus HELP! Brakes

Help!

I've got a 98 Taurus with 49K miles. About a month ago, I noticed my high-beam indicator on the dash wasn't working (just the blue light on the dash--the highbeams work).

Last week my ABS light started flickering occasionally. I checked things out and noticed that I needed some brake fluid, plus a new set of pads on the front (back were fine). That didn't help the ABS light.

Around the same time the ABS light started flickering, I noticed the parking brake light wasn't working on the dash (neither when you set the parking brake, nor when you start the car). I pulled the dash apart today, thinking the bulb was bad on the high-beam light and the parking brake light. Replaced both, no difference.

HELP! Now the ABS light comes on within a few hundred yards of starting to move. The parking brake light still doesn't come on, and the highbeam light doesn't come on. I don't think the highbeam light is related to the brake problems, but the parking brake light problem may be related to the ABS problem ... ?

HELP!

Pete

Reply to
Pete Landers

Did you bleed the brakes? There could be air in the system.

The gauge may be reporting incorrectly, but I am unsure how to test it. I know for the temperature sender if you unplug it and then ground it out the gauge will go all the way up, but I don't know where the sender is for the ABS.

Do the brakes appear to work properly?

Hope this helps.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

No, I didn't bleed the brakes. I think I'll try that.

The brakes appear to work properly, although every now and then they feel spongy (a good reason to bleed them).

I'll try bleeding them next. I'm at a loss.

Thanks! Pete

Reply to
Pete Landers

Ok, I think I've checked all the obvious stuff. I've decided to break down and pay someone to read to ABS codes.

Question: Will and ODB II scanner read the ABS codes, or is there a special code scanner for the ABS system? Trying to consider whether to pay $90 to have someone read the codes, or buy a code scanner.

Reply to
Pete Landers

Autozone or schucks reads codes for free. Not sure if ABS stuff will come up, but it's worth a shot.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Autozone only had an OBD II code reader, which showed no error codes stored in the computer. I'm assuming this means the ABS system has its own computer. Thanks for the help, Carl. I had no idea Autozone had code scanners.

Reply to
Pete Landers