I Absolutely Love My New Mercury Milan

Page 2 of 3

Exactly... the market is setting the price!
That's what market economies do; allow a consumer to get much more value for money if they are willing to do a little work for it.
When the Lemmings and bunny rabbits read Consumer Reports and flock to the 'me-too' products, those who can read between the lines and know a little about what they really want get the real deals.
Have to remind you that's how Honda and Toyota got there in the first place.. but aint it grand it works both ways!
Personal experience: I too was offended when I attempted to buy a left over Pinto in 1982 and the dealer wouldnt deal... but I ended up buying a low miles Escort, which proved to be a better deal and provided a little higher satisfaction, overall.
you pay..DEAL with it!

The statement itself may not be rude, but the delivery very well could be. Kinda like the difference between a banker that wants your business and one that doesn't.
SC Tom
Jeff wrote:

I hope you keep your cars for a long, long time. If you trade every 3-6 years then you get your up front premium for a Toyota or Honda back at trade-in time.
John
A common misconception. When comparing one brand to another you must look at the actual drive home prices, not the MSRP. Toyota and Honda dealers want top buck and more, yet offer lower than wholesale trade prices. I spent a lot more every two years to buy my another Lexus LS, than I now spend every two years to buy the four Lincoln LSs I have owned. I saved so much money on my first Lincoln LS, over what the Lexus dealer wanted for another Lexus LS, that I bought a Mustang GT convertible from him as well with most of the difference.
Since then I purchased four more GT convertibles, the latest one, I just picked up this past Saturday. The total outlay, taxes and all, with my 2005 was only $3,800 for a GT with an MSRP of $1,200 more than the 2005. ;)
mike hunt

The drive home prices for Toyota and Honda are higher, not only the MSRP. So as percentage of the actual drive home price, they are not as good. If I were buying Solara convertibles it would cost my far more every two years. Been there done that, a V6 Solara would cost me $5,000 more than my 2005 Mustang GT V8. NADA lists a 2005 Mustang GT premier convertible, with 15K on the clock, a $30,500, that is thousands more than I paid for the car.
mike hunt

Thats impressive.
What do you do for work Hunter :P
Mike Hunter wrote:

Work? I'm eighty years and old retired. I worked as an engineer for GM, VW and Ford until 1986. Then I was Group Sales Manager for one of the largest mega-dealership groups on the east cost. While doing that a started a fleet service business, that operate in six eastern states, until I sold it in 2000 ;)
mike hunt

Take if from one who has sold a lot of leases to new vehicle buyers. Buying your vehicle at lease termination is NOT a good idea. A short term lease, of two or three years, is a less expensive way to own a new vehicle but is not a good idea if you intend to keep the vehicle longer. If you intend to keep a vehicle longer than three years you will spend less if you simply buy it and finance it over a longer period. When you refinance the vehicle you will need to do so at a higher interest rate as well, and pay state taxes on the purchase. It would actually cost you around the same amount monthly to simply lease another vehicle when the lease expires.
mike hunt

Ford finally got one right.
Hmmm, reskin a Mazda design, build it in Mexico .... and claim victory for American Innovation.
John
It's a victory for the consumer since he gets a great car at a low price. It's not my responsibility to bail out US auto companies but in this case I was able to spend my money with a US corp. and give myself a great car at a favorable price for me.
Made in Mexico? Designed by Mazda? There's nothing I can do about that.

Jim M wrote:

Not a problem, but ironic given Ford's current advertising campaign.
John
Ford builds a far higher percentage of its vehicles in the US than does any other manufacture, with the exception of GM of course.
mike

Actually it is chassis version, of a Ford design, first used on a Mazda
mike

Mike Hunter wrote:

Have any proof Mike, or is this another one of your typical unsourced, unbacked up assertions for which you will simply say that other lesser mortals need to do their own research for?
Everything I read about the Mazda 6 was that primary development happened in Japan and Mazda's facilities. Sure Ford was an investor and was involved perhaps, but you really cannot call it a "Ford design".
John
That is because you don't know how Fords design teams work, I do. Don't believe everything you read in the buff mags. For years MT has insisted the Escort was Mazda, it wasn't. I was part of various chassis design teams, when I worked at Ford. The last chassis' I worked on was the first Taurus and the last Probe, the 1998, which eventually came to market as the 2000 Mercury Cougar. My degree is in metallurgy, I worked chassis structures, focused on crumple zone designs for the most part..

From what I've been told by some Ford of Europe engineers, it started life as a Mondeo (2nd Generation) which was reworked by Mazda for North America. Ford took the reworked Mazda design, and widened and lengthened it. It is a superb machine, handling far better than my Mercury Mystique verision of the Mondeo or my Mercury Sables. I'd love to make it the replacement for my wife's 2001 Sable, but she has her eye on a Mercury Mariner.
It is built on a chassis version, designed by Ford engineers, first used on a Mazda. The Mondeo chassis has no connection, The '07 are available in FWD with a 4cy and a 3.5L V6 and AWD with the 265 HP V6. The 06 V6 was a 3L with 221 HP
mike hunt