key program

anyone knows where in the San Jose, CA area I can get a ford key programmed for cheap? Dealers quote me $90 to $110. Greatmall locksmith quoted me $75. I wonder
if there's a place with more reasonable price
thx
I bought one on EBay, but be sure to get a genuine Ford key, the other brands may require a special programer. Cost, about $18 Jim

read your owners manual. the programing how to details are in it. on the 99 year cars, you cycle 2 programed keys on-off 4 times, then insert the new key within 30 seconds and turn it on. that will program the new key.

I am aware of that. Thing is I only have 1 key and trying to get a 2nd one
thx
Tom wrote:

FWIW, I would be thinking of doing two keys so that I have, in my possession, a total of three keys....
However, In the event of a lost or stolen key, smart money would be on a trip to the dealership or locksmith and have the missing key "deprogrammed".

The code embedded in a key can't be changed. It's the car that gets "programmed" to recognize the keys. A locksmith can cut a key that will lock and unlock the doors; but getting the car to accept a new ignition key requires special equipment or two already accepted keys.

I guess all the conributors to this thread are in the US and maybe referring to older fords but in the UK newer Foci are NOT equipped to allow owners to program new keys. The central locking can be programmed but the immobiliser can only be taught about new keys by the dealer. They claim this is due to increased security - Security of income I reckon! A new key and programming will cost the equivalent of 200$ over here.
Moral - negotiate for a second key when you buy the car.
Bob
well, i don't see why someone in the uk would respond to this post, since the original poster stated he was in san jose california. unless there is also a san jose california in the uk

The "issue" is that a key can't be "programmed" without access to the car -- something the OP might not have been aware of.

Neill, I beg to differ. I had bought a key blank for my '02 Escape and found the one locksmith in town that said he could cut it (my dealership moved to about 60 miles away). I bought the truck new, so I had 2 keys already. I gave him the blank and the one key that hadn't been used much (hoping for the best cut), and told him I also had the third key with me. He got to taking so much, he either forgot I had the third, or missed it when I told him that. He erased the original key, made sure the new one was already blank, then reprogrammed the two keys. After he was done, I reminded him again that I had the third, and asked if it would work also. The answer was no, so he had to erase and reprogram it, also. Now all 3 keys work. I hadn't planned on him programming them, all I wanted was for him to cut it and I would program it myself according to the instructions in the owner's manual. Since he missed the point that I had all the original keys, he didn't charge me anything, saying it was his bust. I tried to pay him just for cutting the key anyhow, but he refused to take anything. I don't mind the no charge, but I still feel he should have taken something.
SC Tom
SC Tom wrote:

SNIP

Very true. Most locksmiths can now access the PATS system and register keys to the system.