no parking brake adjustment for windstar?

I have to really pull on my parking brake to get it to work now but I read in the Haynes manual there's no adjustment for the cable if you've got rear
drums, so what do you do when the parking brake doesn't work as well anymore?
Petebert wrote:

Adjust the rear brakes first...
Then the cables must be replaced if that doesn't work.
Rob

There is a thing you can buy that takes the slack out of the brake cables at autostores.
It had a bolt that pushes on the cable in such a way that it puts a kink in the cable, taking up slack.
My dad used to sell them.
Jeff