radiator and heater hoses 99 Taurus Vulcan

I want to change radiator and heater hoses on my 99 Taurus 3.0/Vulcan. Normally this type thing is pretty simple, but on this car it looks like a real mess. The radiator appears to be hidden underneath part of the nose, so the hoses on that end are out of sight. The heater hoses are not straight forward, either. I was hoping it would be the same basic trick as on my 98 Windstar, but no luck there.

Does anyone have any advice? I do everything myself except internal tranny / engine repairs, but this has me stymied. I'd rather not have to dismantle my car, and I hate to pay someone to do something that should be simple.

Thanks,

geemach

Quit being a dick and posting the same lame questions under different nyms, asshole.

Reply to
Tim J.

Nice talk. I don't know who the other guy is, but it certainly isn't me. If you have nothing relevant to say, keep it to yourself.

Reply to
geemach

In article , snipped-for-privacy@juno.com says... |I want to change radiator and heater hoses on my 99 Taurus 3.0/Vulcan. |Normally this type thing is pretty simple, but on this car it looks |like a |real mess.

I feel your pain. These days very few cars are made to be worked on by mere mortals. A factory shop manual can be your friend.So can a well crafted google search that may find the words of others who have been thru the same thing.

Reply to
Steven Stone

  1. Remove the battery and battery tray. For additional information, refer to «Section 414-01».
  2. Drain the cooling system. For additional information, refer to «Cooling System Draining, Filling and Bleeding» below in this section.
  3. Disconnect the upper radiator hose.
  4. Disconnect the degas return hose.
  5. Using the special tool, disconnect the upper transmission cooler line.
  6. Remove the two A/C condenser retaining bolts.
  7. Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to «Section 100-02».
  8. Remove the radiator support bracket bolts and the radiator support bracket.
  9. Disconnect the lower radiator hose.

  1. Disconnect the lower transmission cooler line.

  2. Remove the two bolts retaining the condenser to the radiator.

  1. Remove the bolt retaining the P/S cooler to the radiator.

  2. Remove the nuts and the radiator support brackets.

  1. Remove the radiator from the vehicle.

  2. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Cooling System Draining, Filling and Bleeding

Draining

WARNING: To avoid personal injury, do not unscrew the coolant pressure relief cap while engine is operating or hot. The cooling system is under pressure; steam and hot liquid can come out forcefully when the cap is loosened slightly.

CAUTION: The coolant must be recovered in a suitable, clean container for reuse. If the coolant is contaminated it must be recycled or disposed of correctly.

Note: About 80% of coolant capacity can be recovered with the engine in the vehicle. Dirty, rusty or contaminated coolant requires replacement.

  1. Release the pressure in the cooling system by slowly turning the pressure relief cap one half turn counterclockwise. When the pressure is released, remove the pressure relief cap.

  1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. For additional information, refer to «Section

100-02».

  1. Remove the seven screws and the three bolts. Remove the air dam.

  2. Place a suitable container below the radiator draincock (8115).
  3. Open the draincock and allow to drain.
2 Close the radiator draincock when finished.

  1. Install the air dam. Install the seven screws and the three bolts.

  2. Lower the vehicle.

Filling-Bleeding

CAUTION: Engine coolant provides freeze protection, boil protection, cooling efficiency and corrosion protection to the engine and cooling components. In order to obtain these protections, the engine coolant must be maintained at the proper concentration and fluid level in the degas bottle.

When adding engine coolant, use a 60/40 mixture of clean drinkable water and engine coolant.

To maintain the integrity of the coolant and the cooling system:

Add Premium Engine Coolant E2FZ-19549-AA (CXC-8-B in Canada, F5FZ-19549-CC in Oregon) or an equivalent meeting Ford specification ESE-M97B44-A.

Do not add orange-colored EXTENDED LIFE COOLANT such as F6AZ-19544-A or equivalent, meeting Ford specification WSS-M97B44-D. Mixing coolants may degrade the coolant's corrosion protection.

Do not add alcohol or methanol or any engine coolants mixed with alcohol or methanol antifreeze. These can cause engine damage from overheating or freezing.

Do not mix with recycled coolant unless it meets the requirements of Ford specification ESE-M97B44-A. Not all coolant recycling processes meet this specification; use of such a coolant may harm the engine and cooling system components.

  1. Add the correct engine coolant mixture to the degas bottle until the coolant level is between the "COOLANT FILL LEVEL" marks.

  1. Select the maximum heater temperature and blower motor speed settings. Position the control to discharge air at A/C vents in instrument panel (04320).

  2. Start the engine and allow to idle. While engine is idling, feel for hot air at A/C vents.

  1. CAUTION: If air discharge remains cool and engine coolant temperature gauge does not move, engine coolant level is low in engine and must be filled. Stop engine, allow to cool and fill cooling system.

Start engine and allow to idle until normal operating temperature is reached. Hot air should discharge from A/C vents. The engine coolant temperature gauge should maintain a stabilized reading in the middle of the NORMAL range and the upper radiator hose (8260) should feel hot to the touch.

  1. Shut the engine off and allow to cool.

  1. Check the engine for coolant leaks.

  2. Check the engine coolant level in degas bottle and fill as necessary.
Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN