Ranger 3.0L 5speed fuel mileage

Page 1 of 2
Wow, i got a whopping 15MPG with this thing last tank...
246km 37L of fuel
15mpg...
God why am i cursed with a ranger... at least i'm thankful the tranny
hasn't gone yet.
Picasso wrote:

Check your tire pressure.

Fuel mileage sometimes goes down in the winter because they "oxygenate" the gas, so it burns better. So that might cause the fuel milage to go down 2 or 3 per cent.
That doesn't explain all of the loss of fuel milage, though.
Jeff

Temperature is a second culprit, especially if the t-stat is a little weak and the engine's a mite below spec on operating temperature. The fuel mixture is richened when the engine is cold, as you know.
The other big culprit is warmup and idling. People let their engines run a lot longer at idle to get the car warm, and they leave it running to keep it warm when they'd otherwise shut it off.
Having said all that, 15mpg is not surprising. People often have unreasonable expectations due to the flawed method of calculating the numbers on the window sticker.
CJB
Living in sunny Alberta (it got above 0 F today... makes it a nice, mild, January day), I put remote starts in jst about everything parked in my driveway.... I refuse to figure out my fuel mileage....
Besides, if fuel consumption really meant that much to me, I'd be driving some dipshit little econo box....
FWIW, aside from making sure we have no driveability concerns (in the original posters case, a code scan and/or a "Quick Test" may be in order - even, perhaps, having the fuel trims read), and that we aren't the victim of neglected serviceing and/or filter changes, our driving conditions and habits can do more to ruin fuel mileage numbers than most realize.

Don't worry, with you wasting fuel like that, global warming will make your warm-up time much shorter.
Personally, I don't warm up my car before going. I just hop in and go. I just make sure that I don't push the engine too hard at first. Actually, I try not to push the engine to hard at all.
Jeff

Yeah, then instead of being thrilled that the temperature rose above zero degrees, Jim will be thrilled it got above two degrees.
mike

It is more like 8 degrees.
Winters seem to warm up more than summers.
That is why so much ice is melting on the north and south poles.
And it is not a laughing matter.
Jeff

But the ice is NOT melting in the winters. It's melting in the summers - which blows SOMEBODY'S theory out of the water.

You're correct. Nonetheless, the ices at the north and south poles are melting faster than ever before.
But it is also affecting ice a lot latitudes, like the in the Alps and in Northern US and Canada.
Jeff

I should have added, that means that ice has more time to melt. Like, instead of melting in June, July, and August, the ice melts in May and September, too. Except in the south pole, when ice tends to melt during the months that it is winter up north.
Jeff

Um...have you considered that the sun is hotter now than in past years? How about the polar caps on Mars melting? Did this guy's Ranger cause that too?

No, it has been 1.4 degF over the last 100+ years and is predicted to be no more than 1.8 degF in the next 50 years.

Agreed.
No. While the Arctic ice has declined in recent years, modern satellite measurements only date back to 1978. Observations going back to the 1870s show that the current situation is not unusual. Arctic temperatures were as warm 70 years ago. Also, while the Arctic ice has been declining, the Antarctic ice has been increasing.

No, but the Al Gore-ite doomsayers certainly are.
mike

Actually, according to the EPA, it is expected to be 2.4 to 10.4 F through the end of this century, which is almost 93 years. And winters are warming up more than summers.
And it is expected to be about 2 F in the next 32 years
http://www.climatechoices.org/ne/impacts_ne/temperatures.html
http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science/futuretc.html

Considering that there is expected to be major ice melts in the north and south poles, it certainly is a very serious problem. The ice is melting so fast, that practically every year, the maps change near the edges of nortern and southern areas, like Greenland.

Re: Ranger 3.0L 5speed fuel mileage:

EPA???:
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
wrote Re Re: Ranger 3.0L 5speed fuel mileage:

Right on.

Obvious he hasen't driven at 40 below!!!

When I started my 1980 Bronco a few cold days ago, my Subaru driving friend was in the passenger's seat... the high idle kicked in and he said, "What runway are we taking off from?" LOL! Good one.
Brad
Ranger 3.0L 5speed fuel mileage:

Was that freeway or city driving? I just got 23.4 mpg on my last freeway trip of 216 miles. I have a 2001 Ranger 3.0L 5-speed manual. That was with no load in the truck bed.
--
To email me directly, remove CLUTTER.

Vic Dura wrote:

that is pretty much constant 45-50mph driving... the thing has proper tire pressure, and not overly agressive tire tred on it.. kelly safari (goodyear workhorse extragrips) 235/75/15... new fuel filter, and new plugs & wires about 25k kms ago.