Re: aircon condensor

pottsy wrote:

cars they do make generic condensors that you attach to the compressor with hoses and they move the hot air out of the car and let the a/c work... do you really need this specific aircon condensor??????
pottsy opined in

Generally ANY unit with the approximate dimensions and same fittings will work. MOuntings for the unit itself may vary but that's minor
The only real problem is getting its end connection points to the opposite side of rad support and connecting without undue stress on existing hoses.
This is one of the conundrums in automotive A/C.. a residential/commercial HVAC guy would have no trouble adapting a condensor to fit, they routinely braze fittings and adapters.
So you COULD find ANY condensor with the same size and approx fittings location, take it and your old one to a welding shop and have old fittings brazed to replacement.
If the system it's coming from has been open for any period of time (and/or after brazing), make sure it is flushed before install.
BTW, I'm assuming you've checked with salvage yards... should be NO problem with a used one. Condensors rarely fail in North America where they use a lot of salt on roads... should be MORE reliable in UK.
Thanx for your help here guys,
I've tried getting a "pre-loved" unit from a breakers but 'cos the cars nearly 20 years old all the other's have been crushed. I'll have to do as you both suggest and get another one modified.
The reason for failure here seems to be 'cos the unit is stuck in front of everything else and is first in line for stones and other rubble that gets thrown up by whatever I'm following.
ta
pottsy