Battery went flat -- just like that!

So I park my project 71 microbus outside the store and head inside to do some shopping. I'm gone for about an hour (big store), and when I return the battery is nearly totally flat. Just enough charge left to make a sullen "click" when I turn on the ignition, not enough to light the headlights, and the radio's memory dumped.

Humph. Did I leave the headlights on? Nope -- the knob is shoved in. There's nothing else on the van to leave on -- the dome light is off . . . the radio is off (neither could drain the batt in an hour any -- I might be a total bozo at things mechanical but I *am* an electrical engineer!). Battery is new.

Roll the van down a little hill, pop the clutch, and get her started and drive on home. Electrical works fine on the drive, so alternator is working, and now, several hours later, the starter turns over fine, battery has a full charge.

I toss this out to the experienced minds on the newsgroup: what, besides the headlamps, could drain a battery in an hour, but not always?

And, an ancillary question: is it normal for the lamps for the speedo and the left dial to be so dim that they can barely be seen at night? The aftermarket tach in the right-hand hole is very bright.

Mike Rocket J Squirrel Elliott

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

...did you actually test battery with meter? Could it be either the groud connection or the battery connection to starter is loose, thus not providing a path for current to flow regardless of state of charge? ...just throwing a few things out....you say you are an EE....well grab ur meter and start hunting =-))

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

......................I can't believe that the battery went so dead that the radio lost its memory and then was OK after driving home. Also, I think that it's true that an alternator won't have any output (unlike a generator) if there's no connection to a battery in the system or if the battery is totally dead. The solenoid click indicates that there should have been enough current to prevent the radio from losing its memory. Maybe there's something going on with the radio that's unrelated to the starter failing to turn over for you at that store. I don't know whether it's true for a '71 baywindow but I do know that the later generation vanagons have no headlights when the engine isn't running. I'm still as much puzzled as you as to what happened though. I'd make sure that this new battery isn't defective (internal break in continuity?) and I'd also check the ground strap connection from the battery to the chassis and also the ground strap between the tranny and the chassis. Another possibility is that the ignition switch has started going bad which could have caused reduced amperage going to the solenoid (a common problem). Being an electrical engineer, you probably wouldn't have too much trouble figuring out how to put in a relay from the ignition switch which could provide a much stronger connection from the battery to the solenoid. If you don't find anything wrong, I'd wait and see if it happens again but I suspect that a relay or new ignition switch will ultimately be the answer for you.

.......hope this helps

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Nah -- I was in a multimeter-free zone when the incident happened. I've pitched one aboard and when it happens again I'll do ye basic poking around. If this is not a Known Issue then I'll sort it out.

Mike RJS Elliott

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

I know. All the station presets were gone.

Well, I turned the key twice and got a click both times. I wandered off to find my wife (nearby in another car) and asked her to pop over when she could to help me push the thing into the downhill position. I tried the key one more time while I was waiting for her and this time there was not enough juice to pull in the solenoid. It could have been this moment when the voltage dipped enough to wipe the radio memory.

Next time I'll have my multimeter handy.

Uh -- you might be right about that. But still, not even a solenoid click the third time.

This battery was put in because the auction house had the same problem

-- flat battery -- with the original one. So they dropped in this one. Two in a row with the same symptoms is less likely than a bad guess about the cause of the problem.

Good thinking.

Ah -- very, very useful bit o' information, that.

My copy of the Bentley manual came this afternoon. I'll noodle through the wiring diagram. Anyone have any idea how much current the solenoid draws? What the relay contacts should be rated for?

Very helpful! Thank you.

Mike RJS Elliott

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Use a common Bosch automotive relay. Here's the scheme (from Glenn's site):

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Saaaay . . . that *was* speedy, Jim! Thanks for the tip! I think that even I, with my high-priced engineering degree, could figure out how to mount and wire up that thing without causing too much damage that a real mechanic would have to later set straight (he said, not noticing the plume of smoke coming off the wiring harness).

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Tyhat's Why they call him...................Quick James

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Reply to
MUADIB®

Solenoid draws 30-35 amps to pull in and 12 amps to hold.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Not sure about busses, but Beetles have adjustable speedo lights. Turn the head light switch in the dash clockwise to see, if it helps.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Excellent suggestion -- I already tried that but neglected to mention it. I'm going to wrench my back and poke around under the dash and see what's up.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

...does it dim normally if dimly? I'd check ground....if it doesn't dim then I'd look at the switch, and specifically the wiper on the potentio...

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

Speaking of dim bulbs -- here's a newbie dimbulb question: where's a good source for bits like replacement headlamp switches and suchlike?

And the "special tool" required to remove the escutcheon (locknut) that holds switches onto the dashboard, where can that thing be purchased? (per Electrical System, page 7, Bentley's Official Service Manual for buses 1968 - 1979.)

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

But, thanks, everyone -- you answered my question: it is *not* normal for the speedo and instrument lamps to be that dim. Didn't know if it was a VW "feature" or not.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

...any VW specific parts retailer will carry these. On my personal vehicles these always get replaced with used parts =-))) Usually takes two or three pulls to find one in good shape though...

....a large pair of circlip pliers or needle nose will work. But if you find a source for the tool and its cheap that would be good informationm....I have seen it *somewhere* ...hmmm...

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian