Re: Automakers Lengthen Oil Change Intervals

Page 2 of 2

of it at dealerships. Brother still in the business. Neglected cars make mechanics a WHOLE LOT more money than maintained cars - even counting the maintenance. It is MUCH cheaper to prevent damage than to repair it, and NEGLECT CAUSES DAMAGE. I wish I still had access to the records from the dealership to show you. Over a 3 to 5 year period, the cars I saw 4 times a year cost the owners about half what those I saw less than twice a year cost. In the 5-7 year picture, WAY less than half - and yes, we saw a fairly good number of 5-7 year old cars back TO THE DEALER for service 4 times a year.

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 19:54:16 -0400, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

You do sound like someone with a lot of years on them. So I'm guessing your experience was a long time ago... a time when a 3000 mile change interval actually made sense since cars ran rich, emission controls were non-existent, gas was full of lead that fouled the plugs and oil, some people were still using non-detergent oil, etc, etc. Times have changed. Buggywhips and gas lanterns are no longer mainstream needs, nor are 3000 mile oil changes.

business, and I see what happens to engines all the time that are "neglected". And the "neglect" falls into what you guys are advocating as "acceptable" There's not a month goes by there isn't at least one engine replaced because someone was too cheap to "waste oil" on "un-necessary" oil changes. He makes more money replacing or repairing engines than changing oil, but he'd rather not have to present the resulting bills to those who are too cheap to give it to him a little at a time.

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 14:39:29 -0400, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

If you are claiming 6000 miles cause problems your claim is hogwash unless this is a Toyota dealership seeing a lot of those poorly designed Toyota v6's. For those, even a 3000 mile interval may not be often enough.
On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 12:13:04 -0400, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Achieving the *same* result for half the cost is CHEAPER insurance. So compared to a 3000 mile change interval, a 6000 mile interval is CHEAPER insurance then the cheap insurance.
On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 14:33:06 GMT, "Whitelightning"

It's a waste of money. We drive lots of vehicles to over 250K and send them to auction running like the day the left the factory and that's with 6000 mile oil changes. These are driven all over the state, some regularly off road out in the boonies. There simply is ZERO evidence that more often oil changes provide ANY benefit whatsoever.
Whitelightning wrote:

Why don't you change it every 1000 miles? You should buy as much cheap insurance as you can get. Since there is no advantage to 3000 mile oil changes versus 6000 mile changes, there is equally no advantage to 3000 mile changes versus 1000 mile changes, so you'll get the same benefit, and waste even more money, which appears to be your goal.

you DO. If the sliders stick (which many do) your brake performance and life goes down the tubes.I check and lube my brakes twice a year. And that's on the GM. About every third time I find a sticky slider.

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 12:07:56 -0400, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

you DO. If the sliders stick (which many do) your brake performance and life goes down the tubes.

I just changed the pads on my 99GT. 50,0000 miles on the originals. All wore the same, nice and evenly. I never lubed any of the pins during that time.

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 07:57:18 -0500, "Steve Barker"

Hardly. Non-synthetic tends to start breaking down between the 7000 to 10000 mile mark. Not worth the risk. For an extra $15 I double the safe oil change interval and save myself half the work I would otherwise do changing oil on 4 vehicles. One day each year they all get their oil changed.