Re: Front wheel bearings or Bad Disc Rotor

Brakes Dust opined in

Brake rotor problems as you describe are USUALLY immediately evident on inspection. Bearing problems are tougher to prove.
ONE of those two shops is lying.... unless they say the bearings are bad in addition to the rotor.
Try a third.. it's hard to discern from what you can tell us.
<snip>

My car is a 1998 Taurus SE, also with DOHC 24V V6 Duratec engine, with 87,000+ miles.I too have a noise from what I believe is the right front wheel / tire area. The noise is more pronounced on right turns and straight ahead, but goes away completely on left turns . I think it might be the wheel bearings also but cannot find any play in the wheels and the car handles fine. I replaced the disc pads - the rotor seems fine and I get very little pulsing during breaking. I am mystified.
When I find out what is causing the noise - I'll post it here. Could you do the same?
Check the Shims on the pads. Bent, warped, or bad shims could be acting like leaf springs, causing the problem. With just enough spring pressure, the shims could be pressing the pads against the rotors.

front
completely
Good work! I will not use the shims after having seen several occasions where the shims were dislocated. I saw an Acura a few years back that the shims had actually cut the rotor from the hub leaving the vehicle with no front brakes after only 600 miles after pad installation. Admittedly, some of the problem may have been in workmanship at the tire store but, it put me on notice that the reduced noise provided by the shims is not worth the risk. I use good quality pads with only the "glue" on the back of the outboard pad. I make sure it cures for 15-30 minutes before the pads are installed to make sure the bonding film is good.. The only problems I have ever had this way is with cheap lifetime warranted pads from Autozone, Pep Boys, etc.
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:08:33 -0400, "Brakes Dust"