Re: GM is still number one

Page 1 of 2
Allowing Toyota and other Japanese corporations to take all the profits, they earn in the US, out of the county free federal corporate taxes is indeed stupid.

mike

As you may know, most all of the Japanese car companies such as Honda assemble their cars in America. They pay taxes. I don't believe that the employees that work in those American assembly plants are members of unions. However, they are well paid. The main reason that they do it this way is to avoid paying the import fees and transportation costs. I should note that they do import some of their vehicles from Japan. I live in California and my Honda Accord was made in Japan. Someone told me that the reason was because of the expense in shipping cars from Ohio to California. It may also be related to the pollution equipment on California cars--it's different from the pollution equipment on cars built in Ohio. Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
I believe their is a different reason your Accord was shipped from Japan. Ohioans consider California a foreign country with strange rules and stranger customs, so they prefer let the Japanese deal with you.

Steve, I realize that you were making a joke--however, the truth is that those sorts of decisions are made by people in Japan. I doubt if they even know or care about the differences between Ohioans and Californians. They care about making great vehicles so that they can continue to make lots of money. They know that the best way of keeping the money coming in is to make the best cars they can make. The people at GM never learned that lesson. Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
Jason wrote:

GM *IS* making the best cars that they can. They simply *are not* good enough.
As one who has been fiddling with cars since the mid 1950's, the current GM is but a shadow of its former self. Since the late 1960's, their products left much to be desired such as the Chevette, Vega, and most recently the Avalanche and that ugly Pontiac truck thang along with the notorious swapping of engines between divisions etc. As stupid as the American public can be, public reaction as been anti GM in ever increasing numbers.
GM made its bed and now is finding out that it ain't all that comfy...
JT

Consider that for years at Fremont, CA, GM and Toyota made cars side by side. GM seems to have learned nothing from the experience. I'm driving a 93 Corolla that came off that line. I don't see very many Geo Prisms (The equivalent that year, was the Chevy Nova prior to that) of that vintage on the road, but I do see a lot of AE10x Corollas (93-95) on the road.
Charles of Schaumburg
I guss that explains why GM still sells more Vibes than Toyota sell Matrix'
mike hunt

n5hsr wrote:

It comes down to the application of culture. For far too long, fat nonproductive labor contracts entered into by the "big three" along with a corporate culture of mediocrity have taken their toll.
When one learns that some yokel can earn as much as $70 per hour as an assembler, something is very wrong.
Sometimes, you don't get what you pay for...
JT

and
those
good
current
the
driving a

(The
on
Sure. And paying execs literally hundreds of millions to make bad decisions has nothing to do with GMs decline into second place worldwide.

Damn, the lies keep getting bigger and bigger.......

When I retired in Feb. 05 after 40 years as an electrician at GM, my pay rate was $30.00 per hour. I doubt very much that the benefits add up to $40.00 per hour.

Au contraire, we got what we paid for. Yokels making $70 an hour. . . .
Charles of Schaumburg
n5hsr wrote:

"We have met the enemy and he is us!"
Pogo - Walt Kelly
JT

It's been a long time since I've seen someone refer to Pogo. But it's true.
Charles of Schaumburg
Actually they pay state and local taxes as do their employees but they do NOT pay federal corporate income taxes in the US, not Japanese corporation does. Domestic manufactures pay state and local taxes as do their employees as well but they also pay federal corporate income taxes on the profit they earn in the US
mike hunt

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 19:57:57 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

What profit?
Jason wrote:

Your polution equipment guess is simply wrong. Honda builds Accords in both Japan and Ohio and varies the mix for any number of reasons. I also live in California, and my '03 Accord was built in Ohio. At the time when I bought mine, all of the 4 cylinder Accords at local dealers were from Japan and all of the V-6s were from Ohio.
There are any number of reasons why a company allocates builds to various factories.
John

I asked why there were JT Corollas as well as 1N Corollas in a given year, and was told they couldn't make enough 1N Corollas at the plant that year. Now they are also importing 2x Corollas (Canadian) in this part of the country.
Charles of Schaumburg
Did they tell you it is cheaper to make 2N Corollas than it is to make 1N Corollas in the GM/ Toyota plant in California, yet sell them for the same price?
mike hunt

No they didn't, and how would you know? Is that in American or Canadian dollars? <g>
Charles of Schaumburg.