Re: "Integrated" radios in some cars prohibit upgrades

Page 2 of 2
Bobby The D wrote:

driving. Currently, I only buy domestic luxury cars that are 5-7 years old and usually keep them for another 10-12 years. I try to stay with proven, trailing edge technology, like V8 powered, rear wheel drive, body on frame vehicles, like Town Cars. These cars suffer an exaggerated reputation for poor reliability and low panache, and thus, are under priced in the used market. I can get these cars, sometimes in pristine condition and loaded with extras, for 15-20 cents on the dollar and then put another 150k miles on them with a modest investment in parts and service time. I especially avoid European and all front wheel drive cars due to serviceability issues and/or very expensive parts cost. Japanese cars are particularly poor choices as used cars. They enjoy a favorable reputation for initial reliability and thus have higher than normal used prices. When they age, they can be expensive and difficult to live with. I do ALL the maintenance on my cars (except mounting tires). Stan K.
Neither BMW nor Merc have FWD.
DAS
On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 23:28:42 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling"

In North America.. Yet..........
In Europe Try looking at the Mercedes A series if you want a FWD Mercedes. (looks like a 4 door SMART car).
Can't recall a BMW that is FWD off the top of my head but perhaps someone else here knows of one.
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

for parts are even worse. I drove my daughter's '04 Mercedes E320 and thought that it was merely OK but too small, too much road noise and waaaaayyyyyy too expensive. Over $50K and didn't even have a built in compass or HID headlamps standard. Also, I couldn't find an aftermarket trailer hitch for a Mercedes. Not sure it could handle a modest boat trailer anyway with the tiny engine. Stan K.
My experience with Japanese cars was a 1984 Honda Accord that I drove for 19 years. All I ever bought was brakes, tires, muffler and one fuel pump. I junked it because of rust. It still had original starter, alternator, radiator, struts, CV joints and boots. It was a truly amazing little car.
My 97 Cavalier so far has been very good. After four years I've only fixed brakes and control arm bushing. My 95 Windstar needed lots of little electrical repairs. I traded it on a Chev Venture because the Windstar had a history of head gasket failures. The Venture immediately needed an intake manifold gasket. Since then its been ok but everything in it seems so darned fragile. It seems to strain to pull the same 2500 pound boat that the Windstar towed with ease.
Both the Windstar and Venture vans are a sheer pleasure to drive and and I can't imagine life without the versatility.
-- Denis Roy D. Roy Woodcraft www.ideasinwood.com

Denis Roy wrote:

What kind of junk are you driving? Power windows have been around for 50 years. Do you still start your car with a hand crank?

On 28 Sep 2004 13:01:57 -0700, Bobby The D wrote:

I'll trade my cassette deck for your cd player :-). I'll even throw in a replacement light bulb for the display's backlight (it's currently dead). Just come on over.

Include power windows and locks - those are very handy. Otherwise KISS! (Keep It Simple, Stupid)

Yeah, I like my old standard shift pickup :-).
-D
--
Whoever gives heed to instruction prospers,
and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord.
Bobby The D wrote:

Caravan, '00 Mercury Grand Marquis, and '04 VW Jetta Wagon all have cassette players in their OEM radios. The '04 VW also has an in-dash single CD player and the '00 Mercury has a trunk mounted CD changer.
To be slightly more serious, it appears that European car companies are more inclined to still install cassette players in new cars, as my '04 VW has one as do some (or most) BMW's and MB's.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in message

No, and those nifty eight tracks are getting hard to find too...With CD blanks as cheap as they are who wants cassettes?

hardware stores are left in your hometown?
VW, Audi, GM & I think BMW are building cars in China. My Dad never wanted a VW built in Mexico, yet................
Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time..

You may be right about this........... Glad I like Chinese food. :-)

Chinese food in America is just as american as apple pie... I had a roommate from Hong Kong back in college who loved pointing this out as he ate his freeze dried seaweed.
-Bret