Valve Radios

Hopefully somebody can help. I have a friend with an Oval that has just bought an original period radio (valve) for his bug, and wants me to wire it in for him. I have no idea what the wiring scheme is for a radio of this vintage, and based on the extreme cost of such a radio, am not prepared to guess. Does anybody have any wiring schematics for old radios.

His e-mail supplied the following info.......

============================================================= As discussed can you get the lowdown on my valve radio. The radio is a BLAUPUNKT KOLN TR serial no. 509402. The radio has two cables - a yellow one I assume is live and a braided cable which has smaller coloured wires inside :yellow / blue / black / red / green and a bear cable. Also on the side are a couple of sockets as per the photo. I dont know what these are. As you can see I haven't a clue where the speaker goes / aerial / earth. On the top is a diagram - but i dont understand it!! Any info. would be a help. =======================================================================

Any help would be appreciated.......

Neil

P.S...I have a photo as well, with the diagrams on the top of the radio, if this is of any help

Reply to
Neil

Valve? Is this a tube radio? I think it must be, I have no info on this particular, but know that if run on 12V and converter the latter needs to be of high quality as they die from "over voltage"... That is to say they only accept close to 7 Volts before they die. Speedy Jim might be able to help.

J.

Reply to
P.J.Berg

Some possible sources:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

The second link looks more useful. I will mail them, asking nicely, and see if I get any results. Cheers Jim

Neil

Reply to
Neil

Early Blaupunkts had tabs that needed to be installed correctly to choose 6V or 12V, and positive ground or negative ground. If you don't know what you're doing, you're at least smart enough to recognize that fact and understand that you could make a mess here in a hurry.

Blaupunkts had sockets like banana jacks for the speaker(s). Three jacks arranged in a triangle so you could plug in one (-) speaker or two (=) speakers.

If your multiple wire cable ends in a little right angle plug, then this sounds like the plug that connects to the power amp, because before around '66 Blaupunkts came in 2 halves (tuner and amplifier.) If this is what you have, then you need the other half to make this useful.

-

Jim Adney