Re: R.I.P. General Motors (1931-2006)

Page 2 of 2
I am not disagreeing, I am simply stating the facts. You are correct GM share of the market is indeed shrinking. However what you a re not taking
into consideration that the market for new vehicles is growing. GM today is selling more vehicle than when it sold 50% of the market in the fifties. Back then the market was less than 7,000,000 vehicles, today it is over 17,000,000. GM sells more trucks alone today then the total number of vehicles it sold in 1975
mike hunt

again, as I've asked before, then why are they a small fraction of their workforce, shrinking white collar jobs, and loosing billions if they're selling more cars? I'm not refuting the gross sales numbers, I haven't gone to try to prove your claim

Because they are paying benefits to people who USED to be in their workforce. The health care costs for their retirees is in the billions, and they have to put billions into their pension funds. They also have about $5.5 Billion in liabilities related to Delphi, which they spun off about 8 years ago. And, they have higher manufactoring costs than other automakers.
Jeff

That's easy, economies of scale. ;)
mike