Re: The Auto Industy's 2nd Biggest Fear

Page 1 of 4
It will meld into a non-issue. The masses go with the flow. For a time it has been SUVs and Pickup trucks. In the near future everyone will feel comfortable in Tata, SmartCar, VW Beetle and Priapisim cars. The race will
be on to the cutist and stingiest cars.
Il mittente di questo messaggio|The sender address of this non corrisponde ad un utente |message is not related to a real reale ma all'indirizzo fittizio|person but to a fake address of an di un sistema anonimizzatore |anonymous system Per maggiori informazioni |For more info https://www.mixmaster.it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabant

Maybe these auto executive should consider the possibility that there are tons of people putting off car purchases until they can actually buy something that gets decent gas mileage.

I don't think the auto executives are too worried about the loss of those two sales...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Yes.
I'm hoping the CAFE rules screw the sales of new cars up royally across the board. Foreign and domestic.
Mike Marlow wrote:

Typically car buyers purchase what they can afford. First question usually asked by a car salesperson is, "how much a month are you going to pay?"
We will ratchet down buyer expectations as the cost increases. In addition to energy savings, benefits will include lower unsprung weight, translating into less damage to roads and bridges. And, highway noise levels will decrease.
Yea verily-- the masses will go with the flow. If you want a muscle car, those will be available too, they will be labeled, "export only" and you'll pay a hefty premium to bring them back into the country.
Regrettably, Mercedes was the first to put a toe in the water with the Smartcar. Shame we didn't have the guts to do it.
-- pj

Which has nothing to do with the discussion to this point. People already have the option to buy a lot of available cars that are 1/2 the price of what they currently drive, get higher gas mileage, yet they continue to buy Accords, Camry's, trucks, SUV, and whatever. There is simply more to the equation than buying the smallest, most sardine can-like vehicle on the road purely in the name of fuel economy.

Sounds good on paper (to you at least), but what a crock. The difference in wear to roads between the average mid sized sedan and one of these wonder cars is negligible. The noise levels won't be any different. Well - maybe they will be louder with these miracle cars, as the sounds of sheet metal and plastic grenading and the sobs of the dying souls, overwhelms the sounds of the typical mid-sized sedans driving by.

Too bad the flow won't be these cheap throw away caskets on wheels. They may be fine for city use, and maybe even for the 3 mile jaunt to the grocery store (as long as you don't buy anything more than a gallon on milk), but for the normal driving needs of the average American, these things are not the solution.

Regrettably?? It's not a novel concept. There have been urban cars forever. Besides the marketing hype that Mercedes threw at this thing, there's nothing unique in this car. Manufacturers all over the world have built this type of concept for decades.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
The fact is MB has yet to make a profit on the Smart. Probably great for CAFE, however. How 'smart' is one to spend 17K to buy a midget two seat car when one can buy a four seat Civic, Focus or Corolla for that kind of money. Better yet one of the others on the market in the 14K range, simply to save a relative few hundred dollars annually on fuel?
Reminds one of the wisdom of those buying hybrids. The premium one must pay to buy a hybrid, over its conventionally power twin, will by ALL of ones fuel for the conventionally powered car for the four years that the average new car buyer keeps their car. ;)

The only advantage of the Smart is size. If you live in a large city, you suddenly have more parking options.
As for fuel mileage, I was able to get 42 mpg over 1200 miles in a Smart ForFour. While good, that is obtainable in other cars. The ForFour has what they call a back seat. I did not try to sit in it though as there was barely any leg room. Handling was pretty good even on the highway, cruising along with the bigger cars on the Autostrade.

And fuel economy And manouvering And safety And it's rust proof aluminum frame. And of course the quality of it's European manufacture.
No one wants to purchase AmeriKKKan built crap.
V-for-Vendicar wrote:

WTF? Why do you keep bringing up the KKK? You are an idiot or something?

Fascism = Corporatism
KKKonservatism = Corporatism.
Draw your own conclusions.
V-for-Vendicar wrote:

I did.
You're either very stupid, high or drunk.
In any case, *plonk*
BYE

Run away Shit Stick.. Run away....
wrote

Obvious conclusion - you are indeed an idiot.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Says the Fascist.
""Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." - Mussolini
Mike Marlow wrote:

Milk me.. Milk me, Dan shouts to GM. My nipples are ready to explode. Milk me Damnit.

Jeff is obviously very right. Whoops I should say correct.

full sized space with another Dumb/Smart car.

and space in the Yaris sedan.
Mercedes should leave small mini cars to others. They are wasting the money they make on their full sized cars on their over priced Smart line. It isn't even a case of the rich helping the poor, because the poor can't afford a Dumb/Smart car.