Remove fuel rail on Escort?

Poking about today, I find that one of the injectors on my wagon is apparently the root cause of my once-in-a-while running-on-three-cylinders symptom. If I wiggle that injector while the engine is running, the engine goes erratic. Wiggling the others causes no symptom.

I did recently let the car run almost dry and I'm wondering if some floating crud got in the fuel lines and made it into this injector. Would like to take out that injector and clean it. How do I remove the fuel rail, though? Feels like the injectors are held in just by O-rings and should just pull out - but then there's the minor detail of relieving fuel pressure. There's a screw-on plastic cap at the inlet end of the fuel rail; is there a valve under that or will unscrewing it squirt gas everywhere?

tia..

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Wiggling the injector shouldnt affect fuel flow and prolly wont move dirt. what it WOULD affect is the electrical connection.

look closer and wiggle softer at the harness and connection.

Just sayin' check the obvious first... if moving the actual connector affects then it's either in that connector or the injector pins/winding solder joint

Yes, a valve under the cap.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Yeah, I tried pulling on the cables and pushing the connector in - it doesn't make a difference at all. The engine gets unhappy when I rotate the injector. Just this one; not the other three.

Thanks.

What's inside an injector, anyway - is it just a solenoid valve?

Reply to
zwsdotcom

well maybe it IS the injector itself. twist till it acts up, THEN wiggle connector

yeah, plus screens, a pintle and an orifice.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

OK, tried this - no difference. I'll probably get to removing it Monday night. It seems like there are a couple of specific angles where it doesn't work; rotating it halfway between those two angles keeps it happy.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Weird! Let us know.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: