Remove fuel rail on Escort?

Poking about today, I find that one of the injectors on my wagon is apparently the root cause of my once-in-a-while running-on-three-cylinders symptom. If I wiggle that injector while the
engine is running, the engine goes erratic. Wiggling the others causes no symptom.
I did recently let the car run almost dry and I'm wondering if some floating crud got in the fuel lines and made it into this injector. Would like to take out that injector and clean it. How do I remove the fuel rail, though? Feels like the injectors are held in just by O-rings and should just pull out - but then there's the minor detail of relieving fuel pressure. There's a screw-on plastic cap at the inlet end of the fuel rail; is there a valve under that or will unscrewing it squirt gas everywhere?
tia..
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Wiggling the injector shouldnt affect fuel flow and prolly wont move dirt. what it WOULD affect is the electrical connection.
look closer and wiggle softer at the harness and connection.
Just sayin' check the obvious first... if moving the actual connector affects then it's either in that connector or the injector pins/winding solder joint
Yes, a valve under the cap.
you pay..DEAL with it!
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

Yeah, I tried pulling on the cables and pushing the connector in - it doesn't make a difference at all. The engine gets unhappy when I rotate the injector. Just this one; not the other three.

Thanks.
What's inside an injector, anyway - is it just a solenoid valve?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

well maybe it IS the injector itself. twist till it acts up, THEN wiggle connector
yeah, plus screens, a pintle and an orifice.
you pay..DEAL with it!
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

OK, tried this - no difference. I'll probably get to removing it Monday night. It seems like there are a couple of specific angles where it doesn't work; rotating it halfway between those two angles keeps it happy.
Weird! Let us know.