Setting the digital ampmeter...

Don't laugh but I have to start somewhere! I am trying to figure out how to set my digital ampmeter. Whats throwing me off is the various settings. Im not sure where to set the dial. I have 500, 200, 20,

2000m and 200m.

Anyway I am trying to determine if my car has a drain on my battery. I read that the acceptable draw on the battery is around 50milliamps, digital will be .050amps.

I understand that the 500, 200 & 20 is some type of multiplier. When I set the digital ampmeter to 20 I get a reading of 12.23. This seem like a lot compared to the .050amps im supposed to get!

But then when I set the dial to 500 the display shows 022, this seems closer but doesnt say .022, Im confused at this point.

My question, where do I set the dial to determine the .050amps?

thanks tom

Reply to
tom trussle

I think you are setting the voltage reading, not the current reading.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

thanks Jeff

I was connected in a series but using the DCV side of the meter. By changing to the DCC side things looked a little better.

The meter showed 0.14, I am assuming thats 14 amps or 140 mA, right?

The remove/test/fuse replacement showed the meter drop to 0.01 on the Instrument Cluster, PCM (fuse #6 on Mustang 2000).

I guess I can start where the new stero was put in.

again thanks tom

Reply to
tom trussle

Those numbers are the (just above) full scale readings of the range. If you set it to 200, if will measure -199.9 mA to 199.9 mA.

If you have no experience with using the meter, I suggest you get a battery - I mean a small one, like for a transistor radio - and a few resistors, for example 10, 100, 1000 ohms. Then measure the voltage of the battery, and use Ohm's law to predict the current through each resistor as you connect it to the battery .. then measure to confirm.

You could cause damage, or even get hurt by connecting it incorrectly to the car.

Soren

Reply to
Soren Kuula

i dont think that is correct..... do you have instructions for the meter?? if not you might just burn it up.... go to radio shack and buy a thin cheap book on using a multimeter.... you are looking for an amp reading and you say you have 500 scale???? dont think so a normal homeowners type meter for under $50 or so will not go over 10 amps..... the cost of parts to measure the higher amps will be too costly..... you might be looking at ohms scale, or anything for that matter.. if you dont have the instructions then go to the company web site and download it.... and, oh yes.. i bought a digital one from sears for about $19. brought it back the next day as it was not as correct as my old analog( needle dial) one....

Reply to
jim

Do you believe a guy that can't figure how to use a muli-meter will understand ohms law ;)

mike hunt

Soren Kuula wrote:

Reply to
DustyRhoades