Amsoil

Anyone using Amsoil? I am about to change over to Amsoil oil and their filters in all my cars - '04 Lincoln LS, '04 Ford Escape, '98 Mercury Mountaineer, and '98 Contour.

Current plan is to use the 5W20 XL7500 series in the two new cars and change at the factory suggested 5K intervals to avoid any fights in case of warranty issues. Amsoil recommends up to 7500 miles with this oil. Will use 5W30 in the Mountaineer and Contour and change at 12K intervals, but change the filter at 6K intervals. Amsoil recommends 15K for this oil and 7500 for the filters.

Appreciate any comments or experiences with Amsoil oil or filters.

Larry

Reply to
LarryLarry2003

I guess you can do that, as long as you buy a new vehicle every two years like I do. ;)

mike hunt

LarryLarry2003 wrote:

Reply to
MajorDomo

Sounds like you got sold a bill of goods by an Amsoil distributor.

Reply to
rmac3321

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (LarryLarry2003) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m16.aol.com:

Amsoil is a pyramid scheme. You can buy better synthetic oil at (insert name) and not feed the MLM (read pyramid) monster.

Reply to
scroob

I figured it was a pyramid deal, which bothers me a lot. However, from all my research I believe it is the best oil out there.

Reply to
LarryLarry2003

Actually no, have not talked to one.

Reply to
LarryLarry2003

I don't. In 40 years I rarely drive a car less than 125K, and frequently to

200K.
Reply to
LarryLarry2003

I've been using Amsoil for years, no problems.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

Better synthetic oil such as? And you can by amsoil direct, you don't need to go through anyone to "feed" the pyramid monster.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

How long have you been selling Amsoil? ;)

mike hunt

GlassVial wrote:

Reply to
DustyRhoades

Mobil 1 ?

Reply to
Rudy

You are correct, Amsoil is indeed 'out there.' ;)

mike hunt

LarryLarry2003 wrote:

Reply to
DustyRhoades

What does that prove? I also own several old cars, one

4cy has nearly 300K on the clock. Never used anything in any of them but regular oil.

mike hunt

LarryLarry2003 wrote:

Reply to
DustyRhoades

Exactly what leads you to this conclusion - Amsoil ads?

I don't actually think there is anything wrong with the product. I don't think it is anything special either. In my opinion it is over hyped. You need to pay careful attention to the Amsoil claims and be especially careful when reading the information provided by the distributors (as opposed to Amsoil Inc.).

Do you realize that the XL7500 oil is just a highly refined group III petroleum based oil and not a synthetic oil in the same way that Mobil 1 is a synthetic oil? The XL7500 is the same sort of synthetic as Catrol Syntec, just a lot more expensive. I can't see any reason to prefer the Amsoil product over Syntec if you are following the vehicle manufacturer's maintenance schedule.

If you want to maintain your new car warranty you need to follow the vehicle manufacturers maintenance schedule, no matter what you think Amsoil is saying about extended drain intervals. After the vehicle is out of warranty it is your money, so you can go to the extended drain intervals.

Personally I think most US car makers specify oil change intervals that are far too conservative. Basically the same engines running similar oils have much longer oil change intervals in Europe. I still do my Ford changes at 3000 miles, but I doubt it is necessary.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

about 5 years ago i had an amsoil dealer try to sell me on using his "magic synthetic oil", after seeing the 3 55 gallon drums of valvoline all fleet in the garage. after listening to his praise of this snake oil ,and him putting down all the other brands, he gave me a goverment specification sheet rating

Reply to
tom

Ed responded

Not, this was the type information I sought with the post.

I realize this, and I believe I described this in the original post

In the '70's I did change on a BMW at 2500 miles for all 146K I had it. Now I do typically 4000 to 5000. Lazier I guess.

Thanks for comments Ed.

Reply to
LarryLarry2003

Look, my Father-in-law sells this stuff and uses it too. However, I use Mobil 1. It's a whole lot cheaper and is readily available in a wide variety of SAE designations. I would strongly advise not using Amsoil. Not that it's a bad product. It's not. It's just that there are equal products at a better price. As to their filters? If they were so great the manufacturers would use them too. Use the part recommended by the automaker and change them often.

Reply to
Reece Talley

Mountaineer,

We love Amsoil customers that push there oil changes to 12,000 miles. I have already done a few motors because of this. Just because there is limioted viscosity breakdown in a synthetic after 10-12000 miles does not mean the oil is still clean and free of contaminates. Mostly what we see is people don't even check the level for 6-7000-8000 and by then its done the damage. :) Brad

Reply to
Brad Coon

Oh so by that logic, Goodyear tires are better than who-flung-dung tires, but auto mfr's ALWAYS put goodyear tires on their cars right?? :-D

Oh and to clarify, I've been using (not selling, I'm not a dealer, or a shill, just my own personal experiences) Amsoil filters and Series

2000 0W-30 oil for years in my car with no problems. Oil filter change every 6 mo, oil+filter change every 12 mo. And let me tell you, if nothing else, my winter starts are 100x better than with old dino oil (as in, the car usually won't start in the winter with dino oil, get it?) And I was using valvoline (dino) before the change as well.

-GV

Reply to
GlassVial

I don't sell Amsoil :)