Start, brake warning light, Topaz/Tempo

Hi
I have a problem starting my Mercury Topaz (exactly same car as Ford Tempo). When i turn the key to the start position the starter switch dont click, and the starter dont turns at all. But in the start postion the
"brake warning" lights turn on. What could be wrong?. Is there some kind of security device that disable the starter when there is an error on the brake system?.
I have checked that there is enough brake fluid in the system, and the brake is hard as normal. Is it just the starter switch or is someting more serious wrong?.
Best Regards.