taurus

I am trying again. The last post never showed up.
I posted this a few weeks ago and got zero responses. Is this the right board?
I have a 1994 Taurus 3.8 that is having the following problem.
After driving several miles, getting car up to top running temperature the transmission will slip when I stop. It will catch and then run ok.
When cold the transmission is fine.
Could it be the filtering screen?
It has 166M miles and I don't want to put a lot of money in it.
A help appreciated.
Thanks.
DA
DA wrote:

That's the intention, so you can leave it in "Drive" when you are at intersections.
It will catch and then run ok.
You lost me there. When you hit the gas, it goes, right?
Rob

trainfan1 wrote:

Rob, I've seen the symptom he's talking about. The trans will go into "neutral" when coming to a stop (2-1 downshift) then "re-engege" with a clunk. Sadly, the trans is toast. Some time soon, it will just fail to "re-engage". The strange part is that this usually starts out as "dropping out of gear" on left turns. Almost like low fluid level and the pump sucking air. I don't know the exact failure, but it was pretty common on AXOD trannies just before they crapped out completely.
Tom Adkins wrote:

Forward clutch Piston cracked?
About all you can do is change the fluid and filter and see if it helps. Probably won't.
Drive it until it dies. Or pay the 1500 to 2000 to have ti rebuilt.
Bob
-
Tom Adkins wrote:

I saw that once on a AX4S... left turn/input into "neutral"... straight or right was fine. It was 2.5 qts. low on ATF. Made it up with Mercon V and off they went - no problems again. One of the cooler lines was leaking & repaired before the top-off.
Rob
I don't know the exact failure, but it was pretty common on AXOD