Taurus 98 A/C Problem

Hi, I have a 1998 Ford Taurus (114,000 mi).it is winter and the problem is that when the car is moving or accelerating the A/C blows warm air ( as it is supposed to) but when the car is idle (e.g. stopped for a red
light) the A/C blows cool air, I changed the thermostat, which was totally worn off, but still the same situation. I don't know what to do?

In what position is the A/C control?
I think the problem is that either the compressor is on, if the control is in defog or defog/floor, so that dry air will go against the windshield or the air is just too cold. Eitherway, when the engine is turning faster, like when you are moving, the water pump is turning faster and, that is making more hot water come up into the heater.
I suspect there is also a partial blockage in the hoses or more likely the heater core.
Jeff
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

It's probably because your water pump looks like this:
http://home.sc.rr.com/estaab/image002.jpg
when it should look like this:
http://home.sc.rr.com/estaab/image001.jpg
This was a TSB issue w/ 96-97 Taurus & Sable, it likely may have affected the 1998 too.
Rob
On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 09:26:28 -0500, trainfan1

Quite likely they didn't catch it right away, as it would take a while to deteriorate - who is the bright engineer that decided to use a stamped sheetmetal impeller? *I* even know better than that...
--<< Bruce >>--