taurus headlights wouldn't work, then suddenly came on

My 98 taurus headlights (lows or highs) wouldn't come on last night. Then, while driving home, they came on for no apparent reason (I had driven about 5 miles with the switch "on" and the emergency flashers on but no
other fiddling on my part).
The guy at the shop fiddled with them for a few hours today, but no luck finding any problems. They have worked perfectly all day.
Any ideas out there?
I Googled and couldn't find anything except a suggestion that maybe the switch and harness needed replacement at $200 + labor. That's an expensive guess with no assurances I won't be stuck 100 miles from home with no lights.
Regards Al
the high beam switch is going bad

You can buy the switch on-line for about $25.00 including shipping and put in yourself. I did it and it took me about a half hour. The switch is made by a company named Wells
oldal4865 wrote:

Kevin Torkelson wrote in message

Kevin/Tom: Many thanks.
Regards Al
Stay away from Wells. Used them before in a pair of 79's and an 87. Had to replace them in six months. Go to any reputable parts store and they will have, or can get what you need. I only use Standard/HyGrade electrical products.
Chris