Telescopic antenna replacement?

2002 Taurus of mine has a whip antenna. I was wondering if it can be replaced with a Telescopic antenna? Is it difficult to find a telescopic antenna for this car? Is it difficult to replace it?
I wanted to be able to send it through one of those automatic car washes and also use a car cover for it in the future.
Thanks guys.
Robert Blass wrote:

My dad put one in his car. It was not reliable.
Jeff
the following:

Eh, thanks for the reply.

Most whip antennas just screw off at the base.

They are made with a long thin fiberglass rod that is rolled up and down by the motor at the bottom, the top of the rod is covered by the metal antenna. After a period of time the rod snaps off at the transition from rod to metal-covered rod. The assembly itself is very expensive and you don't get more than 3-5 years out of it.
Ted

Robert, Are you looking for a simple telescoping antenna like the older cars used to have, or a motorized "hidden" antenna as a replacement for your current whip? The motorized ones can be had from just about anywhere such as J.C.Whitney, are (well, used to be) relatively cheap, and as an install in a car that didn't have one before, not that easy to install. Tried to put one on an old Chevy Nova I had and couldn't keep it from binding for more than a couple of weeks. Plus the radio I had in it didn't have the antenna control wire so I wired it to an ignition-switched lead. (The radios with the antenna control extend it when the radio is turned on and retract it when off.) I also replaced the existing one in a Ford Probe I had, and, like Ted said, it lasted about 3 1/2 years before the inner rod broke. I put a solid whip on it then.
Either way, good luck with your endeavor. SC Tom
"Robert Blass" wrote: ( 2002 Taurus )
Can my whip antenna be replaced with a telescoping antenna? Is it difficult to install a telescoping antenna? ______________________________________________
Most auto parts stores have a good selection of antennas. Or you can find antennas and accessories online. Example:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Category/GroupMenu.aspx?search=auto+antenna&skipvs=T&g#2650&acconly=1
A simple antenna which can be manually collapsed to a shorter projected length is easy to install. The base of the antenna is essentially a threaded tube with a nut on each side of the body panel. Installation steps are the reverse of the old antenna's removal steps.
If you want a powered antenna which completely retracts out of sight, installation is more difficult. There must be suffient inside clearance for its motor and sufficient depth clearance for the antenna parts to extend below the body. In addition, an electrical power connection must be made from the radio to the antenna.
Good luck.
Rodan.

As long as it's not a motorized aftermarket, it is very easy to do, I've done it myself on my old 68 Torino when the factory antenna broke off. The aftermarket telescoping are stronger than the old factory telescoping. You also can find aftermarket telescoping with a spring in the bottom that helps a lot to keep them from getting damaged.
Ted

I would save myself a lot of headache and just unscrew the existing whip for the car wash or car cover...that's what I do on my 99 Taurus...
In my experience, the factory ford whip antennas are WAY more durable than most aftermarket telescoping ones.
Don Byrer KJ5KB Radar Tech & Smilin' Commercial Pilot Guy Glider & CFI wannabe kj5kb-at-hotmail.com
"I have slipped the surly bonds of earth; now if I can just land without bending the gear..." "Watch out for those doves...<smack-smack-smack-smack...>"

On a Taurus isn't the antenna in the back? If it is and you can see the underside of it in the trunk AND it looks like there is enough room for the "guts" of the new one it would be pretty easy to install(because its right there in the trunk). You do need a power wire for the thing and wire that tells it when your radio is on/or one on a swith so you can raise/lower it. I would try to find a cheap one like online or ebay or something first though. What if that $200 one didnt fit? You know? I would think that a cheap aftermarket one would come with an assortment of mounting stuff it would need for different cars or tell the supplier what car it is so you can get the right one. Also, crutchfield is good about telling you what will fit your car and you can look online or call them.