Antenna mast replacement

My original antenna got bent over. I bought a replacement mast which I mounted it using a self-tapping screw to take up the space. The radio works and this will last until I locate a replacement antenna at a reasonable cost. The only problem is the antenna extension/retraction motor seems to run for a long time (> 1 minute) after shutting off the ignition switch and the radio. Is there a way to stop that or do I have to rip apart the truck and disconnect a connector on the antenna? Maybe a fuse that I can pull?

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Don't think there's a fuse just for the antenna. The only way I can think of is to get inside the back part of the right front wheel well. You'll find the connector there.

Reply to
qslim

I just replaced mine for $35. The motor runs until it reaches a high resistance (antenna all up or all down). Motor running means the nylon toothed push/pull wire may be broken or not engaging with the motor wheel's teeth. Search these posts for how-to - pretty easy - and if you have to take the motor apart to remove broken nylon toothed wire, that's not too hard either.

Reply to
camry-keeper

Where did you buy the replacement mast?

Reply to
William W. Plummer

When this happened to me, I got the replacement mast at the Toyota dealer's parts counter. Seems like a pretty common item to require replacement due to wear, vandalism, hitting something while it is extended, etc. The guy knew just what I was looking for and had a bunch of them on the shelf.

Not sure if available as an "after-market" or OEM item....never seen 'em in auto parts stores but that doesn't mean anything :-)

Reply to
NoSpamForMe

Here:

Looks like prices went up a little bit...

Reply to
camry-keeper

That looks like a good website.

Thanks for posting it.