timing chain break????

1992 lincoln towncar 4.6
started right up as usual, then died a second or so later. no noises like a pop, clang, snap, just engine died.
now, when you go to crank the engine, it turns over as if it has no
compression what so ever. the best description i can give is, it is as if you are doing a compression check on the engine with the spark plugs out. the engine is just free spinning, only i haven't done anything to it.
anybody ever heard of this happening to a 4.6???
~ curtis
knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional
I have never heard of this happening on a 4.6. Put a compression gauge on it, that will tell you if it happened or not.

hi thomas - since you responded to my question, i wanted to give you some feedback. they always say sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.
this lincoln is sitting at a slight downward slope with the front being on the downward side. as i stated before, the engine roared to life as usual, then died, but has no compression. did a fluid check and found oil was down one quart, has been lower before, but did top it off.
been gone for about a week. son was over had him under the car and place one hand over each exhaust pipe while i crank engine. car almost started but passenger exhaust pressurized and driver's side did not.
another week has gone by and it's getting warm outside and i decided that i was going to try to sort this out. since it fired and i have some compression, i now know i have some spark and the timing chain is not broke.
it tried to start again, so the next try, i stayed on the starter and finally got it to come to life. it ran rough with blue smoke pouring out both exhausts but did stay running. after a minute, idle did smooth out and smoke finally disappeared. will start right up now.
have you ever heard of such a case like this?
hey, maybe i need to work as a mechanic and stick the owner to a 'magic' repair that we hear so much about. :) gotta have some fun.
~ curtis
knowledge is power - growing old is mandatory - growing wise is optional
Sure I've seen things like that, yours is not unique. What caused it? Can not tell you that could be any one of a number of things. But it does bear out what I've always said, basics. Check fuel and spark first. If you have both rule out mechanical by doing a quick compression check. If you loose timing chain all cylinders will be low to no pressure, so checking one cylinder is all it takes. Any way glad to hear it is running.

Sounds to me like you just plain had it flooded. KB
--
ThunderSnake #9 Warn once, shoot twice
460 in the pkup, 460 on the stand for another pkup