Toyota and some others got caught lying (inflating their horsepower ratings)

Page 1 of 2
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060313/AUTO01/603130350
ahmet

"Seeman, who operates the Web sites, said he doesn't feel any differently about his Lexus SC 430 knowing that it was downgraded from 300 horsepower to 288. "I'm still going to tell people it's 300."" unquote:
And probably still going to lie about how reliable it is....
you pay..DEAL with it!
Backyard Mechanic wrote:

understated the horspower, to avoid high insurance costs and help sales.
What color is the sky in the fantasy world you live in?

"Orrnje!" How's yours?
Arent you being a little touchy about this?
I agree it (HP) doesnt make a damn bit of difference... get a grip and a sense of humor.
Now... on the subject of Toy/Honda owners lying about their reliability... I been there, seen too much of it.
--
Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my wife, of course

Stated HP ratings do matter to many shoppers. So inflated ratings are a benefit to the seller.
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 05:01:25 GMT, Backyard Mechanic

bumblebee wrote:

they didn't lie about anything. Not sure though...its a little vague. I wish it said what was changed, it would be interesting. At least to me :)
Well one standard is that you have to use oil of the type recommended for the engine. Putting 10 weight oil in for a HP test is cheating if the engine as sold is supposed to use 30 weight.
Also, not running any accessories, such as an alternator for example isn't fair if you customers will need to do that to provide the juice for their sparks.
Oh yes, and another pesky rule is that the test has to be independently witnessed.

In the end it's 0-60 and quarter mile times and seat of the pants feel that matter, not hp ratings. And those have changed none at all.

In the end? Yeah in a race it is. In a brochure inflated numbers win. If you think very many people actually bother to try and find stats on 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for a non sports car before buying, then I think you are mistaken.
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 20:26:29 -0800, "GLitwinski"

No, I think that most people test drive a car and let their seat of the pants tell them if the car is "peppy" enough or not. Anybody who buys on the basis of brochure hp ratings is...well, I don't know that such a person even exists for cars that are readily available for test driving...like Toyotas.

I think most test drives people do not get to really step on it. Either out of fear of exceeding speed limits or seeming abusive in the presence of the salesperson.
Brochures matter. Especially when they help you determine what to test drive in the 1st place.

There is a Toyota dealer located between two mountains. Whenever one asks to take a test ride the salesman are trained to suggest the person do so in their V6 demo. 'This car has been broken in so you can drive it as hard as you wish to feel the power.' The reason they do that is if the buyer would test drive a 4 cy Camry, rather than the salesman's V6 demo, they would discover the 4 can barely gut of to the posted 65 MPH speed limit up the mountain roads If the buyer insets on driving the 4 the salesmen takes him into town instead of out on the highway. ;)
mike hunt

What would you expect from owners, but what about the 20% to 30% of the owners you said do not think they have 'adequate power? Have I not always said you are entitled to you own opinion? ;)
mike hunt
. I have

<snip>
the cars accelerate up these hills at freeway speeds.

> On 3/17/2006 11:31 AM ... DH wrote:

I don't know. I've driven a few 4-cylinder cars of most makes that couldn't maintain speed on grades full throttle and in "passing gear" (as they used to all it). Actually the worst vehicle was a 6-cylinder 1976 Ford Granada my mother used to own. Route 50 through WV, you'd be lucky to be doing 40MPH by the time you hit the top of the mountain...passing gear all the way up.
Todays vehicles seem to be somewhat better though, even the 4-cylinders.
snipped-for-privacy@ihatespam.net (SgtSilicon) wrote in

I always hit it hard, last car I bought used, I hammered it with the owner in the passenger seat. After all it is a test drive...
Yeah I'm just saying there might be a lot of folks who wouldn't though. I think it's a good idea too.