U-Haul bans Ford Explorer

Page 3 of 5  
An article in today's paper says U-haul did this becasue of the public's perception of the Explorer as an unsafe vehicle. While speculation on my part, I think the 'public' doesn't know how to
drive or tow, and simply assumes that any problem with an Explorer must be the fault of someone else (*anyone* else). WHen that 'anyone' includes U-haul, and they sue U-haul (who "should have known" the Explorer was a dangerous vehicle), U-haul has to pay the bill for the legal defense. And yes, indeed, such defense does cost U-haul money, as the insurance companies will indeed raise their premiums when they need to defend the clients like that.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

And they "the public" are on the jury and eager to hand over money to the little guy if they can find an excuse to do so. :(
We "the public" -are- the jury, we are also stupid as shit. :(

Yep the stupid-ass jury;) (us!) will see it as "partly fault of U-Hual" while coming up with the number of bucks they are going to "award".
"there's money in them there lawsuits" so there are prospective lawsuits (prosector-lawyers? ;).

I couldn't agree more... with your whole post. :)
Alvin in AZ (ex c-span junky ...I quit before I exploded;)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

people cant drive them without hurting themselves and the people they run into(or roll over). I say make them drive station wagons because thats what they really *need*. Whats really sad is the lawyers get most of the money(or a very large percentage) when a tragic accident happens, *death money*. It is probably a good thing that Firestone lost their ass over this because it will make them and other tire makers pay attention to their product and the impact it can have, but it is also sad that it takes big $ to make them even care. As for Ford, I don't think it is their responsibility to *try* to make a high rideing truck stable enough to handle like a sports car. They are just trying to build what they think will sell. Oh, and one more thing---All you SUV owners out there. If you bought that thing because you think it's "safe", think again. But, down deep I don't think you bought it because it's "safe", I think you bought it because you think it's "cool". ~let the flames begin~ :)
--
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ).
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

So, you've personally tested the driving habits of EVERY SUV driver in the world, and are qualified to make above recommendation ?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

yeah, we've got an old 81 Bronco, from back when Ford knew how to build 'em
Only use it 3-4 times every summer for fishing at my folks', it stays at their place, gassed up and trickle charger on it, in case of a heavy snow in the winter
The entire 'U-Haul ban' is nothing more than a pre-emptive strike by U-Haul
If there's an accident involving an Explorer towing a U-Haul, the lawyeers are going after everyone...Ford, U-haul, the hitch manufacturer, the guy who put the hitch on, everyone that ever touched it
It's good business sense, just a shame that the shyster lawyers make the other 5% of the legal profession look bad............
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:09:20 GMT, "Gary Glaenzer"

Most excellent comment on lawyers !!!!
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

What's the difference between a lawyer and a catfish ?
One is a cold-blooded, bottom-feeding, garbage-eating, slimy-skinned scavenger
The other is a fish.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 00:36:00 GMT, "Gary Glaenzer"

Why have they started using lawyers for bio-lab experiments?
Because unlike rats, the researchers never get attached to them.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

and, there are some things that even rats won't do............
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

And, because there are some things rats refuse to do.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Scott M wrote:

<snip>
If one were to compare the safety of say the Ford Probe (Fast, Handles well) and the Ford Explorer (slower and handles less well) my vote for safety would go with the explorer.
IMHO It is much more likely you will be involved in vehicle to vehicle collision than be put in a situation where you inadvertently put the vehicle sideways and risk a rollover.
Having a big heavy vehicle is a huge factor when considering vehicle safety.
So if people buy the vehicle because they think it's safe, they are probably making a decent choice. Could they do better, sure. Could they do worse, absolutely.
JP
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The safety argument is a myth. Yea, people want front air bags, side air bags. Stuff like anti-lock brakes. The thing is, if safety is so important why do I see women in the passenger seat unbelted and a child on the lap? Look at the increase of instances of aggressive driving. Safety is not really a concern for the average driver, it's what car is hot at the moment, which vehicle will make the largest statement to support my ego.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Interesting... I'd never considered the Ex as "big" or "heavy" and I realize that these would be subjective terms. The Excursion... now we're talking big and heavy....
Even in it's present, somewhat bloated form (compared to the early ones) the Ex is still a small vehicle.
As far a bulk helping in a wreck, no matter what our choice of rides is, there will always be something more formidable heading towards us. The goal shouldn't be to make cars safer, it should focus on making drivers safer.
Box score.... two MVAs per day on our local highway for the last two weeks..... we're getting tired of scraping folks up of the road.
Jim Warman snipped-for-privacy@telusplanet.net

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 06:40:41 GMT, "Jim Warman"

I've seen several programs on auto safety (or the lack thereof) from Britain, and the gist of the thing is that they (we) have to put our efforts into safer cars, roads and laws, because making the drivers safer just isn't practical. Attempting to actually do this would remove many drivers from the roads, which is political suicide. The public (of which we are a small part) is willing to accept the carnage, as long as "something is being done." They will pay the price in money for the extra safety items, and in continued crashes and casualties, as long as they can continue to drive.
It is well understood that the problem is the drivers, but very few individual drivers are willing to admit that *they* are included in the count of drivers who need to improve.
I can speak from experience (and I'm sure most here can, too) about people I know who have multiple driving offence convictions (including DUI), have astronomical insurance costs, and even license revocations/suspensions, who insist that they are not at fault. It's "the other drivers." It's always "the other guy."
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jim Warman wrote:

Well I suppose it's what you're used to. I grew up in England. And believe me an Explorer is BIG to me (compared to a Taurus it's BIG). True, and excursion is Enormous. A Probe is a 'normal' sized vehicle to most Brits, with the requisite performance and handling they need on their narrow twisty roads.

Stricter standards in giving out licenses would be a start in that direction. I was amazed at how EASY it is to pass the US driving test. You basically drive around the block a few times, if that. No Parallel parking, emergency stops, three point turns etc. etc. The US license in comparison to the UK license is a license to kill.
JP
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Now HERE is where I agree with you 100%.
When was the last time you saw someone using turn signals with any kind of consistency or planning, if they're used at all? And lane discipline is totally lost on most people. When the road veers left, most people are straddling the left lane marker, and when it veers right, they're straddling the right lane marker. And it's comical to watch most people exit from an expressway on a looping exit---not only are they nowhere NEAR the center of the lane, they're practically clipping off the standing lane markers on the inside of the curve. They have no CONCEPT of the fact that the rear wheels do not steer, or where the center of the lane is.
Finally, I always seem to have some 19-year-old, mouth-breathing girl, stressfully leaning forward in her seat inside the Saturn that her daddy just bought her (without realizing what a POS Saturns are), GLUED to my rear bumper, no matter what the speed limit. Someone didn't bother to teach this bubble-headed cell-phone jockey about stopping distances, either.
Driving lessons in the US are a complete JOKE. I'm really surprised the insurance companies haven't gotten involved to at least TRY to teach some kind of driving skills in this country.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Now here is where I disagree with both you guys 100%. :/
Alvin in AZ (just a dumb-ass libertarian)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Hey, I'm glad you had some material to back that up.
When some birdbrain playing with his laptop and shaving sideswipes you on the highway, come back and let us know how you feel.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In alt.trucks.ford "JonnyCab?" wrote:

<hey butt-head, you snipped my signature along with the fact that I'm a libertarian>
Didn't know I was going to have to spoon feed it to you. :/

Figured anyone worth talking to, would understand the whole arguement by knowing I'm a dumb-ass libertarian. :/

Are you so stupid to figure than me and mine haven't been in traffic accidents caused by others? My girlfriend was nearly killed (they saved her in the only trauma center we have around here her trauma name was "year 104".
The girls having fun fighting over which CD to play next all had drivers licenses when they didn't notice the curve in their Dodge Ram 4X4. Just one of many examples, what more?
I know who you guys are you figure if we had more gov't we'd be safer. Demoblican or republicrats.
If you guys were in charge of everything you guys would make everything better for all of us right?
You guys may not know it... but that's been tried before and didn't work out so good. :)
Besides theres no such thing as security and safety is over rated!
Alvin in AZ (even a dumb-ass libertarian knowed that! ;)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

<snip>
Sorry about all that but since when did more laws and regulations fix anything? All they do is produce more "make work" proDjects for bureaucrats right? :/
Alvin in AZ
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.