What happens to the spare tire?

Page 1 of 2
We bought our EX new in 2002. We will need a set of new tires soon. The original spare has never been on the road.
Should we get three new tires and use the "spare" or four new
tires and not bother the spare. It would seem like a waste to not use the spare.
WLW
wlwallick wrote:

what the hell is an EX, excursion?
I dont know why you wouldn't use the spare... pop it on one of the 4 wheels, and take your best current tire and throw that in for a spare... it certainly would be a waste of a perfectly good tire... now the question would be can you find a tire to match the spare...
i know at least on rangers the spare tire is not a very good quality tire, and i wouldn't go searching for 3 mates to it...

Most of the time, the spare really is just a lifeboat of a tire. For emergency uses & meant to replaced at the earliest time possible.
On 12/8/2007 6:48:14 PM, Picasso wrote:

tires
new
of the 4

spare...
the
quality
Sorry, it's an Explorer.
The spare is exactly like the other four. It would have been better to have included it in the rotations. Oh, well ..
It will be interesting to see what the dealer has to say.
Thanks,
WLW

On my Dodge Durango, the spare was on a steel wheel, not aluminum like the others. It was also a distinctly different tire, and looked cheaper, even though the description printed on the tire seemed to be the same.

wlwallick wrote:

Don't listen to the dealer... when the hell have they given really good advice...
use the damn tire... you paid for it... why go pay $600 for a set when you can buy 3 for $450 etc...
So your spare was on a wheel the same as the 4 on the truck?? not a black steel one?

You still need a spare, so just keep it as a spare. I dont understand the point of your question. As long as the spare is relatively the same size as the new tires. just leave it be a spare. If you're getting a totally different tire size, then you may have to sell the spare to someone that can use it, and buy five new tires.
If this is in fact a full size spare it should have been included in your tire rotation plan so all five tires are of the same age and mileage. If you have the luck that I have the tire pattern that is available won't match the spare tire (which could be one of those emergency donuts) and you'll probably need the set anyway.
Best of luck'
Bill

On many vehicles today they have "styled" wheels except for the spare so it makes it impossible to include the spare in the rotation unless you are willing to pay to mount and re-balance two tires every time you do a rotation. That extra cost will be more then just buying a new tire when the four are worn out.
On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 19:04:14 -0500, "BerkshireBill"

BerkshireBill wrote:

Well i'm pretty sure nobody rotates the dog nut tire in do they...
the bigger problem with the "rotation" pattern is any halfton or fullsize SUV these days has the alloy type wheels rather than hubcaps & wheels... and who wants that black or steel colored wheel rotated in to the mix every 10,000kms

The ideal way to "use" your spare tire, is to rotate it in with the other 4 tires every 5000 miles when you normally rotate them. Then you will have 5 equally worn out, equally old tires, instead of 4 old worn out and one old unused tire.
At this point, I would suggest you leave it as the spare, you haven't needed it yet, and buy 4 new tires.

Even if you bought identical tires, they would be relatively new, versus a 5-year old tire. I don't know if the spare is kept inside or under the truck. If it's been exposed to the weather underneath, it may not be in the best of condition to begin with.
I would keep it as a spare, but maybe have the tire shop check it to make certain it is in good condition. If you ever have to use it, treat it like a temporary spare and get it replaced as soon as possible.
On 12/9/2007 9:10:04 AM, Andrew Rossmann wrote:
snipped-for-privacy@msn.com says...

the other 4

Then you will have 5

and one old

haven't needed

new, versus

under the

not be in

check it to

treat
possible.
That's a good point. Thanks. That's what I will do.
I wondered about the spare being under the car and exposed to five years of Florida heat.
WLW

It is the direct UV rays from the sun you should be concerned about. The actual temperature has little effect on tire life.

Direct UV is the primary culprit, but OZONE is what damages the rubber. Ultraviolet light accellerates it.

09 Dec 2007,clare at snyder.on.ca in

and when the michelin man gets really hungry during the wee hours, he might sneak out to take a nibble out of a bridgestone, but anyways...
just a note. all 5 wheels/tires are the same on 2000 mazda b3000 (ranger) with aluminum wheels (they seem to be aluminum).

My Ranger has four aluminum rims but the full sized spare is mounted on a stock steel rim.

If you want to put the spare tire into the rotation, the solution is to find another matching aluminum rim at a wrecking yard or as a "take-off" at a local tire shop that sold someone else a new set of rims, they often keep the old ones for either scrap or resale.
Go leave a written request for a set of Ranger/B3000 wheels at all the regional car dealers and tire shops with your name and number. A set will show up. And since you aren't in a "I Need It Right Now!" panicked rush, you shouldn't be paying full retail - depending on how fancy they are, some of those rims can be $200 to $500 new at the dealer.
If you can find a really good price on the rims like $20 each and they have more than one, get what they have. Then you are ready if you bang into a curb and bend or break one.
Take-offs usually come in sets of 4 - unless they were removed because the prior owner broke one and bought four new (non stock) matching rims, in which case there are three good ones left. Sometimes they even come with decent used tires on them as a bonus, but the price is a bit higher.
Oh, and snow tires go much better on a separate set of steel rims - save yours, find more. Snow means salt and tire chains and de-icing chemicals, and they are hell on the finish of alloy wheels, which are costly to have refinished - steel rims can be cleaned up and painted easily and cheaply.
--<< Bruce >>--

Every spring after the snowmelt, I spend some time with my Dremel tool & polishing compound to make the rims look like new. It takes time but well worth the effort.

To who?
I wouldn't waste the time to polish one wheel with a dremel tool, let alone 4 wheels...