Whats the best floor carpet cover in winter?

I live in snow country, and yet it gets warm at times. Noticed rubber mats have a distinct smell when they heat up.
Gray carpet, in great condition, wondered what you all recommend for
front area covers to ward off snow, mud, leaves etc.
I'm old enough to remember clear plastic seat covers, talk about ugly!

I like the deep rubber mats. I never noticed a smell in warm weather (I left the mats in year-round). I like the deep ones because the snow (and rain water) doesn't run off onto the carpet when it melts. (by "deep" I mean there's a half-inch or more depth to the treads)
-D
--
One OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,