Why aren't these standard equipment by now?

When GM makes a four door rear wheel drive full sized car, I'll consider buying one. Until then.......

65 Chevelle SS - gas tank straps rusted through in 67 & tank fell off. Floor pan rusted through in 67 also. Frame rusted through in 71, junked it. 64 Buick Special - frame rusted through in 79, junked it. Overall, not a bad car. 78 Caprice Wagon - Totally worthless Quadrajunk 4 bbl. constantly needed rebuilding. Instrument panel bulbs burned out; to replace, disassemble dash from the front until you find the bulbs. Had to replace rear springs in 80 - they collapsed - no heavy loads in the car. Squeaks, rattles & rust. Junked in 85. 85 Monte - The worst car I ever drove in the snow. Totalled in 88. Catalytic converter plugged in early 88. 87 Park Avenue - In 6 years, I had to put $5600.00 into it - Engine & suspension mostly. 93 T-Bird - Decided to try a Ford. No problems at all until totalled in 03 with 155,000 on it. 02 Town Car - Love it. 50,000 mile warranty, dealer service dept. excellent. Two minor concerns fixed under warranty; EGR sensor and coil on cyl #5. Warranty on sensor extended additional 2 years. Averaged 25.2 mpg on a 3,000 mile trip. Averaged 20.4 mpg for 2004.

David Starr

My '83 Peugeot 505 STX had an oil level sensor. Before you started the car up, the oil temp. gauge showed the oil level (just like the fuel gauge shows the level of fuel).

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Same job then as now. I made less than $5 per hour. A cheap rebuilt alternator for my '63 Valiant was about $45. At that same job today I would be making closer to $30 per hour, and I can buy a cheap rebuilt alternator for a '98 Neon for $60 or $65. For the old Valiant, I can pick one up for less than $35. In 1969 the Valiant was 6 years old. The Neon is 7, so we are talking apples to apples.

Yes, I can pay a lot more for a good rebuilt alternator, but back in '69 I could too.

Actually, in '69 I made a lot less than $5 per hour (like $1.15) - a licenced man made that, and I was an apprentice. By '73 I made that. And I was driving a '69 Dart. Parts prices were about the same.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Both of my old Aerostars and my 88 New Yorker had low oil level warning lights. So did all Toyota Previas. I know a lot of others did too. No gauge - just a light that lit if the level was low on startup.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Some of them count things like engine revolutions or fuel consumption or something like that, with penalty factors for cold or overheating engines.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee