2000 Ford Focus CD player

Unable to listen to CD-Rs on my 2000 ZTS Ford Focus factory issued stereo system. Reduced the write speed which I burn to x4 with some improvement. However, during the middle and end part of a audio disc, a scratching sound can be heard. Sometimes the disc refuses to play altogether and I receive an Error message (disc is dirty). I am using TDK 80min CD-R discs with affixed Fellowes Neato labeling. Plays non CD-R audio discs fine. Are CD-Rs not compatible with factory systems? Do CD labels make reading the disc difficult? Any help would be cool, thanks guys!

Reply to
kalani

Unless stated in your hand book, don't assume all CD players play CD-Rs or CD-RWs. This is because they store the data slightly differently to original Audio CDs. However, I've had no problems with CR-Rs in RDS6000 factory stereo. I think your problem might be down to your CD lables. They can make the CD-Rs too thick and can also cause balance problems. Try some naked CD-Rs with a slow burn speed. Also try using a CD Head cleaner.

Reply to
lee.hewing

Ya the slow burn speed really helped me out when i was having trouble in my 03 Audiofile

Reply to
barreling_NJ

I had terrible problems with CD-R's in my 2002 Ford Focus 5-disc changer. Maybe 1 out of 5 discs would play, the rest having various problems ranging from skipping to outright spit-out-disc. Commercially-recorded CD's played perfect every time, so I never tried to get a warranty fix.

Then, a long odyssey of discovery; different brand and dye-color discs (darker dye seemed to work better,) different software, and combinations of software, slower speeds, and more.

Result? Finally narrowed it down to defective CD burner in brand-new Dell computer. But the Dell went undiscovered for so long because it's output seemed OK on nearly all other devices but the Ford, which leads me to conclude that the Ford players are extremely sensitive to any deviation from perfect.

Lesson: Never assume your brand new equipment - be it computer or automobile - is ruled out as a possible problem.

Reply to
Atlas Bugged

Absolutely, never use labels. No good can ever come of them. They also reduce any chance the disc will live very long.

Reply to
Atlas Bugged

No, but with time they tend to peel at the edges, posing a danger in slot-loading players.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Thanks for the info. I will definately try your suggestions and keep you posted on the results. Appreciate you time.

Reply to
kalani