!!2002 focus: Fan only works of level 4! HELP!

My fan only works on the fourth level which means neither the heat or the air condition work well. they work but being stuck on that setting shuts them off. PLEASE HELP, summer is here and I know I am going to
burn up. I know it is a fairly common electrical problem but I am not exactly sure.THANKS, Jon
snipped-for-privacy@gbcol.edu wrote:

You will often find the answer to common problems like this by searching NG archives using Google Groups.
For example, this comprehensive post should help you:
http://tinyurl.com/2bkp9v
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

In conjunction with the above link on Google groups see also
<http://www.amac.f2s.com/Focus1/
It shows pictures of the motor speed module (with thermal fuse), it's position behind the glove box and circuit diagrams.
If you have no experience with a soldering iron in order to replace the thermal fuse the complete module is relatively easy to remove yourself (one screw and a connector) and I believe costs under 20/$20 from a ford dealer.
The module may be coloured black rather than blue.
--
Alan
news2006 amac f2s com

That thread gives two possible causes of the fault. There is a 99 percent chance that the problem is a blown thermal fuse in the motor control module (the lower three speeds use resistors to reduce the voltage across the motor and these resistors are in series with the thermal fuse - the highest speed just puts 12V straight across the motor and bypasses the thermal fuse)
--
Alan
news2006 amac f2s com
Alan wrote:

Sadly, this site seems broken; the pictures don't display for me anyway.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

I just checked it with three different browsers on broadband and with IE via two other ISPs on dial-up.
The site is a bit slow on dial-up but in all cases it appears to be working.
Try also <http://www.amacleod.clara.co.uk/Focus1/
--
Alan
news2006 amac f2s com
Alan wrote:

Thanks, yes both working for me now.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

snipped-for-privacy@gbcol.edu wrote

See other replies for the fix.

The heating or A/C should not be shut off if run at the highest fan setting - it may be noisy but both should still work.

It appears to be a common problem on many make of cars - they all seem to use similar simple motor control systms :(
--
Alan
news2006 amac f2s com
Alan wrote:
[...]

On many cars, the resistor pack is mounted in the air stream of the ventilation system. The pollen filter doesn't get changed when it should; the reduced airflow then causes the thermal fuse to blow.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.