engine noise

It seems my U.S. made 2000 focus se wagon is just falling apart.
I get this loud air raid siren like noise from the engine compartment. It just comes and goes. The car runs fine but the noise can be deafening to
say the least.
Anyone know anything about a noise like this.
Time to get a new car.
Fords have such charming quirks...
It could be that the idler belt tensioner is going out. My 01 Focus had one, and sometimes it screamed, once it sounded like a bunch of rocks being shaken in a coffee can. 20-30 USD for the belt, 80 USD for a local shop to install a new tensioner. The idler tensioner is very close to the sidewall and I'd rather have someone else do it. If the tensioner is misbehaving, you might as well replace the belt at the same time. YMMV
Or it could be the power steering pump.