Ford Focus Mk 1 or Mk 2?

Yes, it's me again asking more questions about which car to get!
Having pretty much settled on getting a used Ford Focus (probably petrol due to my (irrational?) fear of dual mass flywheels!), we've noticed
that occasionally we'll see a Mk2 Focus pop up in our searches.
Can anyone comment which is the better one to buy (assuming identical mileage/age)? I'm thinking things like, reliability, engineering, comfort etc - plus any other reason I've not thought of. Future resale value may be something to consider, but we tend to keep cars until the have little value - so unless we find it really isn't for us, we don't plan on reselling.
Couple of things - the Mk2 is supposedly slightly larger, so more space/headroom in the back seats (something which I think some reviews commented on for the Mk 1), and a slightly larger boot (something which would be useful). I also believe that the workshop CDs you see on eBay etc won't cover the Mk 2 as they're now online only (with a 2k signup fee), and a quick search of Haynes suggests they haven't done a Mk 2 book yet. I've made lots of use of our Peugeot CDs and Haynes manual for servicing and diagnostics etc.
I also like the Mk 2's little display under the speedo etc which can show MPG etc... but that's not a justifiable reason to go for a Mk 2... ;)
Thanks
David
David Hearn wrote:

It's more than a little larger; it's the width of a Mk2 Mondeo. This may not trouble you, but I wouldn't comfortably be able to get it in my garage.
Another perhaps trivial complaint is the location of the handbrake. This seems not to have been converted for the RHD market, and so is significantly offset to the left.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

The Mk1 has that too in the higher spec levels - at least, my mates 2.0 Ghia has it heh, and that's a T plate (or maybe a W plate actually...).
FWIW - 2 of my mates have Focii - one a 1.6 Zetec, 51 plate 5 door, one a 2.0 Ghia W reg actually I think it is, 5 door. Both are ample roomy in the back, indeed we've done the 80-90 mile round trip cinema trip to York 5 up (and none of us are particulary small) a few times with no real dramas. The 1.6 is often filled with a full bands worth of PA system as well. Neither have broken horrifically yet - beleive the 2.0 did a water pump but that wasn't an expensive fix.
--
Dan
Clio V6

*shrugs*
It's a Focus.
Doesn't matter which one you get, it'll be desperately dull.

Cos Ford paid off all the European motoring journalists to say it was really good and to convince all those millions of punters who bought one, didn't they Steve?
--
Paul Giverin

British Jet Engine Website:- www.britjet.co.uk
much like they were saying:

<pause-two-three>
<clicks stopwatch>
Blimey, but this is getting very predictable. From both sides.
On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 00:03:55 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote:

I'm sure David finds this very helpful, thank you.
-Nick
SteveH wrote:

WTF are you on? I've never driven one, but I suspect the huge acclaim for the Focus chassis isn't pure marketing bull. ISTR they poached a lot of Peugeot engineers, who know a thing or two about making a car entertaining.