ford focus power steering problem

Hi, I have a 2003 ford focus SE Sport. A couple of days while taking a turn to park the car, all of a sudden power steering system broke down and lot of power steering fluid leaked at the driver side and made a puddle of it on the road. A mechanic told me he needs to replace power steering pressure hose all the way to rack and pinion and that is 3 to 4 hour labour and also he said it will cost

180$ to get a hose from the ford dealer!!!. However on the internet power steering hose don't seem to be that expensive (my car seem to have metalic pipe for the pressure line) unless i misunderstood something in parts. So not sure if he sounded reasonable...anybody has an idea how much such job can cost including parts?

any help is highly appreciated..i am really frustrated about having to spend around 500 bucks on my car at this point thanks

Reply to
VP

IVE JUST BOUGHT A 1999 FOCUS WITH SAME PROBLEM THE LAD WHO HAD THE CAR SIAD IT WAS GOING TO COST £265 PARTS AND LABOUR NOT TO BAD REALY BUT I CAN BUY THE WHOLE POWER STEERING SYSTEM MYSELF AND FIT IT FOR AROUND £150. if it is the hose buy the part yourself and fit it yourself it isnt hard to do infact the jobs dont come any easier.

hope this has been some help to you and sorry about the caps lock at start didnt realise it was on and cant be bothered to write it all again

Reply to
liney

In alt.autos.ford.focus liney :

$ echo "IVE JUST BOUGHT A 1999 FOCUS WITH SAME PROBLEM THE LAD WHO HAD THE CAR SIAD IT WAS GOING TO COST ?265 PARTS AND LABOUR NOT TO BAD REALY BUT I CAN BUY THE WHOLE POWER STEERING SYSTEM MYSELF AND FIT IT FOR AROUND ?150." | awk '{print tolower($0)}'

ive just bought a 1999 focus with same problem the lad who had the car siad it was going to cost ?265 parts and labour not to bad realy but i can buy the whole power steering system myself and fit it for around ?150.

OK, this was just copy&paste work. The real problem is you didn't included any context and the article you are replying might be already gone for people using a real news-server. I can't see it anymore and it isn't unlikely others have the same problem,

I could check all headers for "References:" and use this to look it up

and putthe "References:" ID into "Lookup the message with message ID",but I think it is asked a bit much.

Reply to
Michael Heiming

what the hell was that message all about

Reply to
liney

Basically, Michael was trying to explain that the way you are attempting to use Usenet doesn't work. (As in this post, where you have left nothing of what you are replying to).

Try Googling for articles explaining how to post and reply. You will make it easier for others to help you, and get far more out of it.

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thx, indeed this was exactly what I was trying to say. The OP might not even be aware that this is usenet, as he seems to use some www forum to access this newsgroup. Not unlikely some http forum just mirrors usenet and doesn't tell their users where they are posting at all. Leaving them thinking they'd just post to the http forum they are using.

Yep!

Reply to
Michael Heiming

ok he said the power steering hose needs renewing and got told it was going to cost a bit and asked if it is a reasonable price. to that i told him got the same prob and told him how much ive been told and that he could replace it himself because it is an easy job. trying to save him some cash any problems with that

Reply to
liney