kayak rack

Ford lists the kayak carriers as being fit fot the focus series - before I invest, was wondering if anyone out there has actually tried them. thanks
Massachusetts

I have a 2002 SE Wagon. Haven't tried the ford kayak carriers, but did purchase the Yakima racks (About $180US, all told) that clamp onto the existing rack system as well as the Yakima kayak attachments. Was awesome for 2 kayaks, felt very secure (used 2 adjustable straps with like 1,200lb max ratings and a heap of bungie cords), but it was a bit sluggish and got crappy gas mileage due to the added weight and significant reduction in aerodynamics. And I must add, it looked VERY SILLY.
Saint Louis

them.

Strangely, my gas mileage used to improve with two 18' race boats on the roof. I figured it was a streamlining effect. I also thought it looked cool... sort of like a WWII fighter with two big drop tanks. :-)
Stephen
I just posted re my use of thule roof rack on 01 wagon factory rails. I thin my whitewater boats make the car look a little less middle aged.....