Ford Focus Steering Rack

I fear I may need a new steering rack for a Mk2 (2008) Focus 1.6L petrol as there's a power steering fluid leak. If so it's not a job I can do
on the road*. I don't fancy a main dealer for what's patently a long job. I've had a recommendation for an independent garage but from browsing there seem to be a lot of brands of rack with significant differences in price. Any recommendations to go for - or to avoid - please?
* and probably couldn't elsewhere :(
--
Robin

A month ago, my Mk1 (2004) Focus suddenly threw a wobbly, and it was obvious that the power steering was playing up. The steering was stiff (lumpy), and there were nasty noises when I turned the steering wheel. A quick check showed that I had lost a lot of fluid.
I feared that the pump (which is driven by the cam-belt) had disintegrated. However, the local village garage found the there is a pressure switch (electrical). It had sprung a leak, and had allowed the to fluid to leak out. A new switch fixed things.
Neither the garage nor I know what the switch does. There's certainly no dashboard warning light or anything.
--
Ian

On 20-May-18 11:59 PM, Ian Jackson wrote:

When stationary ECU detects steering pressure due to turning of wheel and increases idle air to prevent engine speed dropping.
They also do the same for high load electrical stuff like heated screens and air-con.
Or even just putting it in gear as there is higher drag from the disengaged clutch with a gear selected than in neutral.

I see, Thanks!
--
Ian

Site Timeline