new focus, sat nav problems

Hello,
I have a new Focus which has a 'solar-reflect' windscreen, also 'quick-clear' heated windscreen. I am thinking of getting a sat nav unit (Tom-tom or Garmin) but I read that there may be a problem receiving the GPS
signals through the widscreen. Is this true ?
If I have to have an external aerial for the GPS, where & how should I fit it, is it a DIY or workshop job.?
Thanks
KK
wrote

The Tomtom units that have been on sale for the past year have a more sensitive receiver (SiRFstar III) and you should have no problems with athermic and heated windscreens.
Older receivers worked with heated front screens but not with athermic screens.
--
Alan
news2006 amac f2s com

My TomTom One V2 works fine with a my Mondeo heated windscreen.
But, a friend says that his Vauxhall with the reflective windscreen blocks the signal.
Best bet ... Borrow a satnav and try it!
Al.