Noisy Tach

I've been hearing a "whistle" from my '06 wagon that rises and falls with the engine RPMs. After ruling out anything under the hood, I'm pretty
positive that it is the tachometer. Is this driven by a cable or is it entirely electronic??
Thanks.
Dave Holmes wrote:

Entirely electronic.
HTH
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

It's electronic. I can't see any reason why it should be making this noise. Since it's behind a plastic cover and the cluster panel, the sound would be impossible to localize. I'm guessing the cause is something in the engine compartment (belt maybe) that just happens to be transmitting in such a way as to sound like it's coming from the cluster.
I thought belt or some sort of vacuum leak but I (and two mechanics) can't hear anything under the hood.
If I stick my head beneath the dash, however, it's loud and clear. It's definitely inside the car.

there is vacuum under your dash in the hvac system... possibly there?

It does SOUND like a leak of some sort - can you tell me more about the vacuum? Where is it?

OK, this makes more sense now. There are two ways that rev-related noise could be getting inside the car that I can think of off-hand. One would be through the clutch linkage if it's a manual. The other could be through the throttle cable. Wonder if there's a loose grommet in the firewall?

Third one just occurred to me: shift linkage.
Dave Gower wrote:

Clutch actuation is hydraulic.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

And it's an automatic.
wrote

Which leave two candidates in my mind: the throttle linkage and the transmission control cable. If either one is loose, it could make a noise. I'm not saying I feel confident that's it, merely I can't think of anything else.
You might want to pose your question on the alt.autos.ford newsgroup. There's a lot more technically savvy people there, and that's where I go to post any advanced questions I might have.