Oil Question

I just bought a leftover Focus and am happy with the choice. The oil was the only thing I questioned, 5-20 synthetic blend? I assume that full synthetic can be used, but the 5-20. This narrows the selection of brands
considerably.. Will a 5-30 function in the car?
John
maybe not in winter weather
John Perry wrote:

mine is 1.6 duratec 16v and oil is Formula E, SAE 5W-30 WSS-M2C913-B and afterfill/top-up with Formula S/SD SAE 5W-40 ACEA A3/B3 /Jorgen

In the Cold climate US states, they use 5w-20.
Do not use anything thicker than 5w-30.
Tim..
Tim.. wrote:

I'm in sunny Los Angeles. We use 5-20 here, too.
--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
:>Tim.. wrote: :>
:>> :>>>>I just bought a leftover Focus and am happy with the choice. The oil was :>>>>the only thing I questioned, 5-20 synthetic blend? I assume that full :>>>>synthetic can be used, but the 5-20. This narrows the selection of brands :>>>>considerably.. Will a 5-30 function in the car?:>>>> :>>>> John :>>> In the UK it is 5W-30 only :>> :>> :>> In the Cold climate US states, they use 5w-20.:> :>I'm in sunny Los Angeles. We use 5-20 here, too. And I'm in "sunnier" Phoenix, AZ. :-)
AFAIK all US Zetec engined cars going back to the Contour, Mystique and Escort ZX2 have called for 5-20 oil. The only exception I'm aware of is the Zetec in the SVT Focus. That one calls for 5-30. I have one and have had to watch close when I get oil changes to make sure they don't put 5-20 in it.
me/2
me/2 wrote:

And yer welcome to it. LA's hot enough! :)
Although the wildfire smoke haze cuts a bit of the solar radiation...

Added datapoint: I was addressing my run-of-the-mill Duratech. I should've been more specific.