Performance question

Can anyone tell me what the performance is of an RS Focus, 2ltr 235bhp, 53plate? Thanks in advance.

Standard power output is 212bhp (215ps) and performance is adequate, 0-60mph in around 6.something depending which test you read and max of around 145mph.
One chipped to 235bhp probably wouldn't get to sixty that much quicker due to traction issues, and might top 150ish??
It is a relatively light car (1280kg) compared to some of the "competition" you might meet on a given day - for example an Impreza WRX Sti Type UK (1475kg, 261bhp) has only slightly better power to weight ratio (~10bhp/1000kg) or a Mazda RX8 (228bhp, 1350kg) is about 2bhp/1000kg better off. As you would imagine, rolling straight line performance for both is pretty similar to the RS. Both will launch better.
HTH
Mark

The Focus RS is brilliant on good roads and tracks, but can be quite darty on bumpy roads due to its differential.

What do you mean, "due to it's differential". Of course it has a differential, all cars have them. Do you mean "due to its bad differential" or do you mean to say: "Due to lack of four wheel drive with a limited slip rear differential"? /per

Sorry, I was in a hurry. Due to its quirky LSD. It bobs and weaves like a lightweight boxer on rough roads.

I have, and the severity depends a lot on the technique or style of the driver. I've done some back to back driving up and down various alpine passes here with an Impreza WRX and the Focus RS. The WRX (not a full blown STi) was quite benign, but rather dull. The Focus was really alive and on the whole a much more fun car to drive. I have a lot of experience with powerful front wheel drive cars, so I know how to avoid or deal with torque steer, how not to boil the inside tire exiting a corner etc. However, on many sections of road the RS threw me a few head fakes which I wasn't expecting. The Impreza was boring but predictable. If it were my only car, I would tend with the Impreza for all-weather performance. If I were looking for the ultimate hot hatch, I would choose the RS for its agressive nature, generally excellent grip and handling, and live with the jiggles. Shame about the ugly steering wheel, but maybe I'm a bit older than the target buyer (I'm 37). When it comes to putting my own money down, I've tended to have a practical car and a second toy and try not to compromise, so my practical car is my Focus TDCi wagon, and I am currently shopping around for a dirt-cheap Opel Speedster (Vauxhall VX220) for my toy, as this is in a whole different world of performance and they are going out the door for substantially less than a same-aged RS.

I second everything Stephen says there - in my opinion, although four wheel drive has its uses, it provides an overkill level of grip/predictability to the extent of being boring 99% of the time on public roads unless you really want to drive in a total hooligan manner at idiotic speeds (something I am just about growing out of after 18 years driving!).
I did choose an RS as a daily driver, at 36 I'm closer to the target demographic (!) and yes I still think the wheel is pig-ugly...
I like that it is an easy car to live with as a daily driver, yet can provide bad-boy thrills at more "sensible" speeds than a performance 4x4 when the remaining hooligan in me takes over!
As for my weekend toy, I elected for something that probably couldn't be more different to a VX220 if it tried (although I follow Stephen's logic totally)...
http://www.hj60.btinternet.co.uk/focustang.jpg
Mark
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 11:35:58 +0100, "Stephen F."

I bet that was a lot of fun I've only done Switzerland to Austria via the mountains once and that was in a Dicovery so performance was not high on the list, mind you with those views going fast was the last thing on my mind.

Must be an age thing I'm 42 and all that blue and aluminium is not to my taste either looks like an explosion in the Halfords parts shop!

Loads of fun to be had in one of those just far to low to the ground for a big fat guy like me I need a winch to get out of the thing.

Must be that Vauxhall/Opel badge if you stuck a Lotus one on it I 'm sure they would double in price.

Exactly. I say a big thank-you to badge snobs when it comes to buying fast, cheap cars. The infatuation with the VW GTI also reaps dividends on the used car lot for buyers seeking competent cars like the Focus SVT/ST170.