Query: Ford Focus Discs and Pads Replaced

I've just had my discs and pads on my Focus replaced today after 50,000 miles. Anyway, driving the car home I've noticed that the new brakes are lacking in byte. On closer examination of the brake pads, it appears that the inner radius of the pads are closer to the disc than the outer radius of the pads by a millimetre or two (with the brakes off). Is this correct, and could it be the reason my brakes are now lacking byte? Or could it just be that the new brakes take a while to bed in, and/or remove residue from new. This is my first car I've had to get new brakes for, so I don't know which is true. Any advice appreciated. It being the brakes, I'm a little reluctant to take any chances!

Chris..

Reply to
Chris H

In message , Chris H writes

The new pads will take time to bed in. Try not to use harsh braking for the next couple of hundred miles. Of course the pad material on your new pads may be different to your old ones, even though they are both Ford parts. Ford may source its parts from different suppliers.

For what its worth, my original Ford Pads were much better than the EBC pads I fitted as replacements. Don't worry about the gaps when the brakes are off. They will be fine when you press the pedal.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Paul,

Many thanks for the info. I'll take it easy on the brakes for the next few hundred miles.

Chris

Reply to
Chris H

The technique I have used to bed new pads in for over 30 years on my own and other people's cars is to find a quiet stretch of road, then drive in 2nd gear whilst left-foot braking fairly firmly. I release and reapply the brakes several times, the object being to get them really hot but obviously not getting to the point where the pads start to smoke! I then drive around to allow everything to cool down. The pads seem to bed in straight away, and give excellent results immediately.

This technique was shown to me by a rally driver. They don't have the opportunity of bedding in new pads gently of course!

The usual precautions when trying something different with your brakes clearly should be taken!

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The mounting mechanism is designed to allow the pads a certain amount of pivot so they always align properly with the rotors. This gap is irrelevant. Pads and rotors come in a variety of designs and composition, and therefore in feel. There is a difference between the initial feeling of "bite" ("byte" is a computer term) and the total amount of braking power available in a full stomp. You didn't say who installed the components, but if they were a reputable shop you don't need to worry.

Cheers

Reply to
Dave Gower

Yep bite, not byte. Spelling was never my strong point!

I got them fitted by a Ford garage, so should be OK, and as should be at £135 (incl VAT)!

Reply to
Chris H

Thanks for the advice.

Chris H