Replacement of ignition key lock ...

The ignition key lock mechanism broke on my ZTS 2000.
The locksmith who repaired it mentioned he repairs one almost every week !
Have others on this list required the same repair ?
Has there been a recall for this ?
Regards. FM Qc, Canada
I have no keys at all and no ring - hate the sound of the keys/ring swinging back and forth
;-)
Eivind

I had a problem with no being able to remove my key from the ignition. I told the dealer that I believed it was a problem with the shifter. They replaced the ignition lock cylinder.
I don't know if they did that because it was cheaper / easier than the shifter, or if it was because they see a lot of bad ignition locks.
When it didn't fix the problem, they later replaced the shifter.

Not for my car, 2001 Wagon US, automatic trans.
I've also had my shifter assembly replaced and the problem was fixed. I had torn out the assembly myself to take a peek. There's was a small button that would get stuck in a depressed position and that was the problem.

FMR wrote:

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/19/001950DJ.html
Bulletins for 2000 Ford Focus L4-121 2.0L SOHC VIN P SFI Bulletins for 2000 Ford Focus L4-122 2.0L DOHC VIN 3 SFI
5. 02-18-2 SEP 02 Interior - Ignition Lock Cylinder Hard to Turn
What interests me is how many of the same problems are seen across many Ford models. Look up different models and the same problems are being reported.
Just last month, I had to have the ignition switch replaced in my 2000 Focus wagon. I purchased an extended warranty, but Ford Canada says it doesn't cover this particular repair. That makes no sense to me, as I can't think of a single, more important component in the car.
The repair bill came to over $300 dollars, and Ford Canada is quite content to see me bear the entire cost. I, in return, am quite happy to tell anyone who asks just how completely dissatisfied I am with Ford's customer service. This car WILL be my last Ford - EVER!
FWIW, my dealer, the tow truck operators, the dealer where the car was towed for service, and Ford's customer service people have all heard of this problem occurring in numerous other Focuses. If you own a focus, you should probably expect to have to make this repair at some point in your car's life. My advice is to have the repair performed as soon as you notice ANY change in the ignition switch's performance. It is much easier and cheaper to perform the repair while the switch is still functioning.
BTW, other than the key fob, there has never been any other weight added to my ignition key.
As to the issuance of a recall, don't hold your breath. I've contacted Transport Canada and urge you to do the same.
Good luck. I'd be interested to hear the outcome of your situation.
Rob
"FMR" wrote ...

Brakes.

Are probably useless if you can't get the thing started.

great detail. The asshole clamped shut for a week and they all relented.
Think of it this way: If the ignition switch doesn't work, nobody gets hurt. Brakes don't work, hmmmmmmmmmmm.
Go to the thread started on 5/10/3002 at 12:25 pm Subject: Ignition key won't go in 2000 from Mark Vassmer. Many people have had the same problem and my daughter was told the only way Ford will do anything is if they receive an overwhelming number of complaints. She was told her name was put on a list and if ever a recall is issued she would be notified. A lot of good that does. I keep coming back to this group for updates and that's how I see a new thread has been started.
Ernie

Ironically, mine just failed too (2000 SPI wagon), after my initial reply. Wonder if it has anything to do with the very cold winter we just had? I notice it seems to be a Canadian problem.