Toyota Carina. Key stuck in lock

Hi

The key is stuck in the ignition of our Toyota Carina. The problem is identical to the one described here

but as a car novice I couldn't make sense of thereply and the OP seems to be no longer active. We've been told a new lockwill be roughly GBP200. This is a lot of money. Are there other solutions wecan try? Is there a cheaper way of getting the problem fixed? cheers

dd

Reply to
DDEckerslyke

Well, I understood part of Mr Cheerful's answer, he was suggesting that on Automatics there may be a mechanism whereby you can only remove the key if the slector is in neautral/park. If the switch/circuit that "tells" the lock that this is the case has failed and it isn't getting the signal, then it won't allow the key to be removed.

I would ring a few auto electricians/car immobiliser fitters and see what suggestings they have. If the can't get the key out, perhaps they could fit some kind of immobiliser so that only you can drive it. You cauld then leave the key in.

Reply to
zikkimalambo

I did the same thing in Norway and the price was GBP 50,- from the Toyota dealer. Check around for a better offer as this is a common weekness of this car.

TJ

Reply to
Thor Jan Børresen