Roar from rear end

I have a 2001 ZX3 with a roar from the rear end. It sounds like the way a tie down strap viabrates when being subject to hign winds. Sort of a viabrating deep whine. It occurs at about 30 MPH and gets loader until
about 40 and then stays constant. I can take the car out of gear and it does not affect the level at all, so it does not appear to be a transmission problem. It does not occur a low speeds except when slowing to a stop. It does not sound like a bearing going out, I have heard wheel bearing noise before. Anybody have any ideas. The tires are the standard Firestones of the type that came with the car. It Sounds as if it is coming from the rear.
Any help to narrow it down would be appreciated.
Stumped in Texas
Larrya wrote:

Are you sure? Rear wheel bearing were a problem with that year, with early 2001s in the northern states (where they use salt on the roads in winter) being recalled.

Good luck.
i would of thought wheel bearing too

Could have a tire or two that's cupping back there. Put it up on a frame lift and have somebody who knows spin the tires. Way too common on cars with light rear ends.
--
Rapid Rick
"Just Drive, Baby"
I have a 2001 ZX3 with a roar from the rear end. It sounds like the way a tie down strap viabrates when being subject to hign winds. Sort of a viabrating deep whine. It occurs at about 30 MPH and gets loader until about 40 and then stays constant. I can take the car out of gear and it does not affect the level at all, so it does not appear to be a transmission problem. It does not occur a low speeds except when slowing to a stop. It does not sound like a bearing going out, I have heard wheel bearing noise before. Anybody have any ideas. The tires are the standard Firestones of the type that came with the car. It Sounds as if it is coming from the rear.
Any help to narrow it down would be appreciated.
Stumped in Texas ======================================== You probably have cupped tires. The Fuckus is famous for them. Ford has a camber kit for the rear wheels which allows for correctly setting the camber to new specs they issued. I know this because I raised all kinds of hell with my dealer and they put the camber kit in for free and replaced my tires.
The Fuckus is so frigging light in the back end that if you do a ton of interstae driving, the tires will actually skip off the pavement whic is how the cupping occurs. Ford will try to tell you it's not from rotating the tires and that is bullshit. The only way a tire can cup is bad alignment or bad/worn suspension.
if you do have cupped tires, make sure before replacing the tires you get the camber kit and have it aligned, or you will just have new cupped tires in about 5k to 10k miles.
good luck
Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Final
Johnny,
100 to 1i ts the rear bearings very common & they recalled it but not ineffect anymore. it cost u about $250 installed from auto mechanic if u use dealer be much more. I had that on my 2001 ZTS. How many miles u have on it?